1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Next type of coding to replace HTML...

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by 8everything, Feb 25, 2007.

1. chaos0784

chaos0784 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true, and I think a lot of people forget this. As it were, 100% of a website can be coded in PHP, but what exactly is that PHP doing?... It is simply a complex way to generate HTML, thus putting you back to where you started.

chaos0784, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  2. Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    yup :D

By the way, I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say it's not often that I see a new user making useful, grammatically-correct posts!

Dominicc2003, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  3. pprabhu

pprabhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The statement is correct. Though the number is changed now. The limit is 27 nested tables. FF has no issues. The challenge was to create 100 levels of organization structure using pure tables. I did it.. but unfortunately it never worked in IE.

pprabhu, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  4. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard somewhere that PHP can be used to create standalone applications.

Aragorn, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  5. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its fortunate that it never worked in IE. Or else we would have had thousands of website with just tons of HTML code in it. :D

Aragorn, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  6. chaos0784

chaos0784 Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP is the Print Hypertext Preprocessor by abbreviation, and so simply by definition it is meant only to handle Hypertext. Hypertext is only found in HTML or the Hypertext Markup Language. Now, on a little less known line of thought, it's true that PHP can return values to the Linux shell if you know what you are doing. Once in the Linux shell, it can control applications in some small way, but this isn't really what PHP was meant for IMO. So theoretically, yes you can write limited applications, but they will require the help of many other programs to work: not a true program in itself but rather the middle man so to speak.

Google: passthru()

The question I pose for those who think they can turn this concept into a complete program is: where are you getting the input for the PHP from? Most likely it is being fed from a form, and that of course is HTML. We are back at the starting point aren't we!

See my point?

Thanks, I try to make a point of making good first impressions. :)

chaos0784, Feb 27, 2007 IP
    Dominicc2003 likes this.
  7. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
  8. chaos0784

chaos0784 Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting. Any programming language can be compiled, and as I said before it could provide information to other apps. Still, this relies on another program to do a lot of the work. It's not native OS code, as the second site said either. Finally, even if this does work as well as they said it would, it's not a Web Language is it?

chaos0784, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  9. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHP stands for PHP Hypertext Preprocessor not Print Hypertext Preprocessor. Its a recursive acronym.

abdussamad, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  10. chaos0784

chaos0784 Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right, my mistake. It was late when I was writing that post, and for some reason I got mixed up a little. Still, it's a Hypertext Preprocessor, which was my primary point.

chaos0784, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  11. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    I did not post the links to start an arguement. I just wanted to prove that I was not wrong.

Aragorn, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  12. chaos0784

chaos0784 Peon

Best Answers:
    Point taken. I wasn't intending to start an argument either. Apparently you know your stuff, and I had never heard of such a program. I only replied to prove a point that PHP was never meant to be used in such a way. Good find though, and it's nice to know that there are people here who know what they are talking about. Many forums just act like they do, and talk big about what they don't know.

chaos0784, Mar 1, 2007 IP
    Aragorn likes this.
  13. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you both have good points. PHP was made for server side scripting to create dynamic sites. That was the original intention and it continues to be used mostly for that very purpose. But it is also possible to use it as a Command line interpreter or shell scripting tool and also to create GUI stand alone apps like Aragorn pointed out.

abdussamad, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  14. nwk

nwk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PHP and other server side scripting codes can't replace Html.
    Because there is a problem of security for the user. If its server side scripting, then there must be a script like html to convert it into at the server location and are available in this (converted) code.. If these scripts are directly available to the user its a child's play to create virus/spyware sites and hack your pc. It would be a big problem and this won't happen.
    Instead I think there will be no replacement for html but there will be upgrades like XHTML and so on. Html(or Xhtml or ...Zhtml)+ Css(css2...css3...) will dominate for the next 5 years atleast .

nwk, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  15. chaos0784

chaos0784 Peon

Best Answers:
    What is Zhtml? XHTML was not an arbitrary renaming of HTML because they thought X was cool, but rather the X actually means something. In this case is signifies that it is e(X)tensible (H)yper (T)ext (M)arkup (L)anguage. Extensible was supposed to mean that as part of XML, it could be extended with custom tags and be validated as XML. ZHTML would stand for nothing.

I don't think you meant for that to be taken seriously, but I explained just in case. :D

CSS3 will be lucky if it comes out anytime soon, and even then, it probably won't catch on very rapidly. I sure hope that it dominates at least 5 years! I think it will around for probably 20 more years, simply because it is so hugely international.

chaos0784, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  16. veckd

veckd Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is easier and the code looks prettier =D

veckd, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  17. nwk

nwk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was referring to new codes like xhtml and newer codes and there's nothing like zhtml . :)
    Just Making it clear.

nwk, Mar 4, 2007 IP