1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Newsletter With 85,000 Signups. Now What?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by akeeldin, Apr 20, 2005.

In a past life, I wrote a popular book on databases and SQL. When the book became out of print, I decided to offer it as a free PDF download.

I also wanted to start a SQL newsletter so the downloaders had the option of opting-in to receive it. Well about 85k said yes. I think now is the time to actually start the newsletter.

Here are my questions:
    1. I would like to know just what does it take (money, time) to maintain a monthly newsletter (6-10 pages).

2. I can act as editor but I would like content to be from a pool of guest writers. e.g. from database companies, universities, experts in the field. etc. How best to approach people about this. Do I offer money, a byline, audience exposure, what?

3. I don't want advertising if I can help it. Anyone have any creative ideas on how to pay the bills?

4. Possibility is to have a sponsor for each issue (subject of SQL is targetted enough that Oracle, Microsoft, SAP, mySQL etc. should be interested. The fact that opt-ins have downloaded my book surely qualifies each as a prospect). Anyone have experience of talking to the big boys on sponsorship/advertising. Where does one begin?

Any other creative suggestions are welcome.

akeeldin, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  2. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

85K ? Byline, link, audience exposure. Money? No, I doubt you´ll need to offer cash.

I think you answered that one yourself. Sponsorship, either exclusive for a year, exclusive per month, or sponsored sections within the newsletter.

As high as you can get within the company or via an introduction/recommendation. My experience in sponsorship is far removed from the internet, but I always found it useful to be able to demonstrate my audience´s interest in the sponsors product. Perhaps if you could produce specific questions, threads, discussions, reviews or whatever from within your audience relating to your target company, that could be your foot in the door?

e10, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  3. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    85K? You wouldn't care how much the newsletter will cost you. It is nothing to the amount you can make out of it. Simply, goldmine.

nohaber, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  4. akeeldin

akeeldin Guest

Best Answers:
    nohaber - But I'd have to sell stuff right?

Is it still a goldmine if I go the route of sponsorship?

akeeldin, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    yfs1, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  6. techbuzz

techbuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    I've managed a user db of about 280,000 users, 140,000+ of which are on a single or numerous newsletters...

For scouting talent: Many people will happily create content for you or allow you (or pay you) to syndicate their content in your newletter for a byline / link to their site/bio/whatever. Just find someone whose content you enjoy reading and present it to them.

For getting sponsorships... the smartest thing I did was take products/sites that I felt were perfect for my audience and put them as a sponsor of the newsletter without even telling them. Then, once the results came in, all I had to do was show them how many people clicked through and negotiate a price for them to remain a sponsor. Letting them know that you have already (showing results) or plan to put their direct competitor(s) as a sponsor in the next newsletter generally makes for the perfect call to action to close the deal.

You said the signups came from a book they could download (free book?). Be your own sponsor... write a new book, or a supplement to the old one and sell it for "...Only $Y for newletter members!". Sell it for $X on the site and, even if it is just a special URL, sell it to your newsletter subscribers at a discount for $Y. The real goal being that you want a volume of sales at $Y.

techbuzz, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  7. Bazkaz

Bazkaz Peon

Best Answers:
    All good ideas so far... worst case I'd have your newsletter get emailed out with brief snippets or the beginning of articles in the email, but with links to a landing page with the full newsletter. On the landing page you could have AdSense or what not running. You could probably make a lot more off one or two key ads in the newsletter itself just from advertisers who will pay to reach your audience.

Bazkaz, May 1, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I agree. You should avoid advertising for at least the first 20 sends. A) it will get you a realistic number once you filter out the "not founds" and B) people will advocate an advertisement free newsletter. You want to give them a chance to get going before you advertise in it - which I believe is inevitable.

I think that at least a few people out there will pay you to write an article that will get that kind of exposure and a byline... something to the effect of "Article written by joe blow who operates www.hissite.com (no link yet).

Start with a pool of sites - top 10 listings for 20 sets of sql related keywords. Send out e-mails or even better call them to guage interest. Also, there's a page that lists the latest yahoo directory adds. All those fresh sites should be interested in gaining exposure, and you will find more than a few there who will be willing to expand their user base by sponsoring your e-mails - even for a link on your page that talks about the e-mail without a link in your e-mail.

Don't promise sponsors more than you are comfortable with. You already have a huge list and that's leverage for you. If they push for live links in the e-mail or banners or something like that, walk away and go with the next guy. These people should be thankful for whatever you offer them and be willing to help out for a minimum of exposure for the greater good of the community at large.

nevetS, May 1, 2005 IP
  9. akeeldin

akeeldin Guest

Best Answers:
    This is a little outside my comfort zone but your suggestions have really helped.
    Thanks everyone.

akeeldin, May 3, 2005 IP