1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Newsletter pop up window

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by serialentre, Mar 3, 2015.

Hi all,

I am looking to create a newsletter sign up pop up window. When a user visits a website, a pop up window appears to prompt user to sign up for the newsletter.

Is it possible to create one that appears automatically after a few seconds without using javascript?

As for the actual css codes, should I be doing a position:relative and top:-20em to hide it, and subsequently make it appear by modifying the top positioning?

Would appreciate some pointers. Thank you!

serialentre, Mar 3, 2015 IP
  2. hdewantara

hdewantara Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  3. serialentre

serialentre Member

Best Answers:
    Ah that's an interesting technique. Will read up and learn more about it! Thank you!

serialentre, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Is there some reason you are trying to piss users off with a pop-up? What is this, 2001?

deathshadow, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  5. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, it's 2015 and it seems to be the big thing again. Pop-ups now cover the content and won't go away unless you register, subscribe or forward the link through your 'social media' connections. Bastards!

g

kk5st, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, so my bad. It's 1997... just like what HTML 5 -- aka "the new transitional" -- is trying to do. Gotcha. All the old failures of the past are fresh and new again.

Starting to think Mark Cuban is right. -- oh wait, I've been saying the same thing for six years.

deathshadow, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well - you'll need some sort of control (cookie or similar) so that it doesn't pop up EVERY TIME the user visits a secondary page, or reloads the page - ie, you'll need to make it go away if the user registers, or if the user clicks "close" (you need to have a close-button)

PoPSiCLe, Mar 6, 2015 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  8. serialentre

serialentre Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah it's 2015 and everyone is using pop ups for sign ups! But I'm not planning to use it for my sites. I wanted to learn more techniques.

And Mark Cuban is indeed right. There are tonnes of startups that's funded in my country that just doesn't make sense to me. Investors are okay that startups see red for 2 years, as long as their userbase are growing steadily. They are okay to fund 7mil for a startup that has no monetization strategies. They fund startups so that it can be acquire by a bigass company and exit with a glorious profit. Don't understand why our economy is becoming like this...

Ah okay, will look into that! thanks!

serialentre, Mar 6, 2015 IP