1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

newbie questions

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by sharpweb, Aug 10, 2005.

I'm looking at starting an adsense account on a new website. At the moment it doesn't have much traffic yet (20-30 unique people per day), but with a new advertising campain and some SEO I hope to dramatically increase the traffic.

Basically my question is should I wait until I increase the traffic to a decent level to start Adsense? I realise that I won't generate much revenue at the moment, but that may soon change. What kind of visitor numbers should I aim for to produce a decent revenue from adsense?

Thanks for any input
    Chris

sharpweb, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  2. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a really simple, but very "it depends on" answer for you: if your site is designed to engender visitor loyalty (i.e. you want them coming back) then I wouldn't put Adsense on just yet, wait til you get to 500/1000 a day unique. But if your site doesn't require (nay, doesn't want) repeat visitors/visitor loyalty, then go ahead and slap those Adsense on, since they probably won't be back anyway, and you mind as well capitalize on them now. But if your site is designed for the former, I'd hold off on the Adsense, or any type of ads. Give it a month or two (or three) for your traffic to build, then put a small Adsense on at first. Allow it to sit, then put another one on (if you desire) much, much later -- say, 6 months later.

Again, from my point of view, and it's VERY subjective, it depends entirely on your site. Is it designed to build up a loyal base, or is it designed to capitalize and make a buck.

toocoolforschool, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  3. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    His advice seems so true. Adsense sometimes take your visitors away. I mean if the visitors of your site found the site advertised by Adsense better than yours, then I am sure, they'll not comming back to your site instead they'll be returning to the site endorsed by your adsense ads.

kawebspy, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  4. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yep they will ....

wissam, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  5. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for the suggestions. I agree that to increase the visitors per day I need to have people coming back.

another quick question:
    am I allowed to have adsense ads on pages that require a user to be logged in? I am thinking for the time being to only have put adsense in the user area. That way I am not loosing potential customer, but generate a little extra from current customers.

Thanks
    Chris

sharpweb, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  6. Ladan Lashkari

Ladan Lashkari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Chris,

Yes, you can put AdSense on the pages that need users to be logged in. There's no problem with that. Google wants to send qualified traffic to their advertisers to motivate them to keep paying for their ads.

Ladan Lashkari, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  7. sercan

sercan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for your answers ;)

sercan, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  8. Ladan Lashkari

Best Answers:
    You're quite welcome! :)

9. greentwinkie

greentwinkie Peon

Best Answers:
    Here you are wrong! I took a quick look at the Adsense terms and look what I found:

The log-in page has no content therefore is considered an illegal page!

greentwinkie, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  10. dpak

dpak Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought about displaying ads in a "logged in user only" area as well, but the only problem is that if you do that, the google spider won't be able to get to the page to see what you have on it, and therefore won't be able to display ads that match your content.

That's why I decided not to display ads in a logged in user only area... I also thought it said something about it in the TOS, but I can't find it now...

dpak, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  11. sercan

sercan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sercan, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  12. Ladan Lashkari

Best Answers:
    I think you didn't understand sharpweb's question. sharpweb asked if it's against AdSense rules to put AdSense on a page that people need to login to access that page - not a login page.

You can't place the ads on login and thank you pages because they don't have useful content. But a membership site full of great content, for example, is another matter. Google has no problem placing AdSense ads on it.

13. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, the pages in question are password protected so the google spider shouldn't be able to access them. I won't put them on the login or thank you pages etc.

Am I allowed to put them on password protected pages? Is it pointless to put ads that won't put specific to my webpages content.

Thanks

sharpweb, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  14. Ladan Lashkari

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are allowed to place AdSense on password protected pages that have useful content. But if Google spider can't access those pages, no ods will be displayed (only public service ads). So what's their use anyway?

Ladan Lashkari, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  15. greentwinkie

greentwinkie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, my mistake!

I'm afraid it's the same with password protected pages. If Googlebot can't reach them you won't have contextual ads, and I think that defeats the programs purpose.

Anyway, send them an email asking this and they'll tell you if you can or can't do it.

greentwinkie, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  16. discoface.com

discoface.com Peon

Best Answers:
    My google adsense won't show up on my page
    help me please

discoface.com, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  17. sercan

sercan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there can be a lot of reasons for this problem... first of all, if you are a new user, there won't be any ads before googlebot spidered your site...

sercan, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  18. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there is no problem with that just make sure that you are giving an access to the Adsense bot for it to crawl your site. And it can be made on your robot.txt file.

kawebspy, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  19. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion is depends on how deep the security is.... for example forum site if you check your private message ads from adsense display.

PinoyIto, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  20. Key

Key Peon

Best Answers:
    The login page itself can't have an ad unit on it, but pages with content that require the user to login should be fine. You can't put ads on the locked door, but you can put them inside for people who can get in the room. :)

Key, Aug 15, 2005 IP