1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Newbie question on twitter mentions

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by 6502_workshop, Apr 22, 2017.

I am a newbie to twitter and have read up on twitter basics including replies, retweets and mentions. Some things are not working the way I understood them. Can anyone help explain? Thanks much!

—problem description—

My personal account is a follower of my business account.

I posted a tweet in my business account that included @username in the body of the tweet. The tweet showed up under the “tweets and replies” tab in my business account profile. The tweet did not appear via the home tab on my personal account and I thought it would.

This is confusing to me because I thought that by putting @username in the body of a tweet that would be considered a mention, causing a notification for that person, but it seems to have prevented the tweet from being shared with the followers of my business account.

————

Any insights are much appreciated!

Thanks.

Mark

6502_workshop, Apr 22, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You'll see people tweeting with a full stop at the beginning of the tweet followed by a username.
    With the full stop this tweet is a regular tweet that mentions people
    Without the full stop only the people who follow both the writer and the first mentioned name will see the tweet

upload_2017-4-23_3-35-55.png
    BTW the full stop is used because it's an unobtrusive character, you can use anything but the full stop is an accepted convention.

sarahk, Apr 22, 2017 IP
  3. 6502_workshop

6502_workshop Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks! That makes sense and it worked.

6502_workshop, Apr 22, 2017 IP