1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Newbie @ PHP. But what about HTML?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Oniska, Jan 2, 2011.

Hi, I have created many basic website with dreamweaver CS3 + CS4 and now on CS5 but i have never used the HTML editor and only used "DESIGN" mode.

I have seen how good PHP is and i wanted to start learning it. My question is:
    Should i just start on learning PHP without knowing HTML?

Is it possible?

Oniska, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  2. netpoint

netpoint Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    of course its possible. as you learn about php you will also learn about html. i say go for it.

netpoint, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  3. Oniska

Oniska Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks! :D - I'll try to read on it. Is there any books or guides you can suggest?

Oniska, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  4. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Start with W3schools. They have hundreds of useful tutorials including HTML. You can also subscribe to this Free 11 week HTML Course by about.com

nihangshah, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  5. NotTheWalrus

NotTheWalrus Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP is pretty separate from HTML. HTML only affects what the user sees, but PHP controls what the website does. tizag.com's PHP tutorials are pretty good. w3schools is wonderful for HTML/CSS, but isn't very good when it comes to server-side stuff.

NotTheWalrus, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  6. umarsa

umarsa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should first understand the basic commands in PHP by using the online tutorial websites which i will link below for you. After getting familiarize with the basic commands you should start editing pre-made scripts by other people and just start seeing what different things do.

tizag.com
    w3schools.com

If there are any commands you do not understand while editing other scripts then just check out the PHP manual which is located here:
    http://php.net/manual/en/index.php

I am still learning HTML and CSS alongside my PHP. I must admit it does suck a little not knowing HTML and CSS properly as there have been many things i have wanted to code but never knew how to lay out on a page so in the end they would just look like a white page with a paragraph of writing which had thousands of PHP code behind it.

umarsa, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  7. Lam3r

Lam3r Active Member

Best Answers:
    I say learn CSS+HTML, you're going to need it unless you do pure backend PHP development, and even then you'll need to know HTML most likely to accept form data and such. Bad idea just learning PHP without knowing HTML/CSS at all in my opinion.

Lam3r, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  8. Cozmic

Cozmic Member

Best Answers:
    PHP is just one of the many methods of displaying HTML dynamically. Without knowing HTML, you're just wasting your time with PHP or any other web development language.

Anyway, HTML isn't that hard. It's hard to even call it a proper language. It's just a way of laying out content with lags. It's hundreds of times less complex than something like Java or C. If you understand BBcode, you pretty much understand HTML, IMO. Despite that, you should still make sure you know what you're doing in that regard. Flip through an HTML tutorial, it will do you some good, but memorizing tags is a waste of time.

Cozmic, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  9. Keppy

Keppy Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest you learn HTML / CSS first. Then after that start injecting your HTML code with PHP code.

Keppy, Jan 3, 2011 IP
  10. womo1984

womo1984 Guest

Best Answers:
    Most people start with HTML/CSS and then move on to PHP.

It's important to note that PHP is not a programming language, it is a scripting language. So if you want to learn "real" programming, start with Java (or other OOP language).

If you only need dynamic pages, PHP is the best choice. But you usually cannot combine Dreamweaver (WYSIWYG) pages with PHP. You'll need to know how to edit the code - both PHP and HTML - manually in an editor.

Great and easy-to-learn is Pspad, when you'll need to be more productive, start using an IDE - like Netbeans.

womo1984, Jan 3, 2011 IP
  11. Oniska

Oniska Peon

Best Answers:
    So far i have read O'reilly PHP learning books but havent come so far because it doesnt start from the basics however i have started learning PHP from Lynda.com that is very easy to understand

Oniska, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  12. ankit_frenz

ankit_frenz Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can learn php without HTML.But for building basic websites you will need to output something on to the user and there is when HTML comes into play.I suggest you get a basic idea about HTML..shouldn't take more than a day considering you are already a designer.Than go for PHP

ankit_frenz, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  13. rajib.bahar

rajib.bahar Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should learn both at the same time, because you'll probably hit road-blocks in advanced topic related to html/php. When you get analysis-paralysis then switch topic to something else. Good luck!

rajib.bahar, Jan 8, 2011 IP