1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Newbie here, writing dating ebook. What to do?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Sebastien_TheKind, Aug 19, 2010.

I'm writing a guys pick up chicks type book. I'm a dating coach, so I actually have original content, because I live it. Based on real life stories, etc.

Anyway. I know very little. My plan is, write book, put up blog site, write smaller free ebook and get a newsletter happening, and sell ebook on amazon.

Now...I have no idea about income expectation? Or amount of work involved after the site is up, or how to promote it other than showing a link on my sig for forum writing.

Any help is appreciated!

Sebastien_TheKind, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  2. mainstreetcm

mainstreetcm Peon

Best Answers:
    I found writing my own ebook a struggle that I never really expected. It was a tough first couple of days, but once I got moving on it everything just kind clicked. I don't go the free ebook route with the hope of getting a sale later on when I email and they probably unsubscribe. My ebook was MMO related so I posted it on five forums, made 10 sales my first couple of hours. I have gotten one or two sales a day, every day for the last two weeks because of the promotion in my sig. Forums really do kick ass. For example I've sold 8 copies of my book today, which means I've made more money on the side than I will at my J.O.B today. I'm not in the market of a dating ebook, but I would assume those who are would probably pay upwards of $27 for one.

Always remember, don't sell yourself short. Quality writing means a premium price. Additionally you starve off refunds by having a higher priced product, as it runs the cheap asses off.

mainstreetcm, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  3. theurbantwist

theurbantwist Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I plan to do something similar, but my ebook will be totally free, with links to some of my sites to help promote my brand. I'm hoping that by me giving the books away for free that it could be a nice source of traffic for me and thus could lead to money being made that way through ads and such. I'm more about getting traffic coming in. I want my site to be pulling in at least 500,000 unique visitors a day. My site does about 2,000 a day so around 60K monthly so I have a ways to go. I will promote my book through my website. Do you have a blog that you push the book through to some of your visitors?

theurbantwist, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  4. Sebastien_TheKind

Sebastien_TheKind Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I do not have a blog yet. I have hundreds of great forum posts, and the subject is no big deal. I was planning to make a real nice page, rather than a blogspot page. But maybe I should just make a blog page and write a bunch of articles?

Now here is another thing. I have a forum identity. I won't give out the handle but let's just say....it is eccentric. But people know me on some major dating forums. Now I have a local market for my in person consulting, and I have my avatar, who is an eccentric, funny, abrasive character. I'm not sure which to work on. The eccentric, funny character, the pickup artist, or the professional dating coach. One is more entertainment and one is more educational.

5. mainstreetcm

mainstreetcm Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you selling? An information product on how to pick up women, or an informational product on how to be funny? Think in your customers shoes. Would I trust this eccentric funny guy to teach me how to pick up women, even though my personality is nothing like his? Or should I go with this other guy that says no matter my personality type I can get the girl of my dreams by just learning this, that, and those?

Know your market. I'm a somewhat reclusive person, and speaking personally I wouldn't buy anything from an eccentric, yet funny, sometimes abrassive character. The "pick up artist" term is just a buzzword and I would figure that the guy who called himself a "dating coach" would have something with more substance available. Perception is reality. Again just personally speaking. Keep in mind I'm probably not the target audience for this lol.

mainstreetcm, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  6. l33tdcboi

l33tdcboi Peon

Best Answers:
    Add in the eBook - How to ask a women/man out on a date... I have seen many failures.

l33tdcboi, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  7. theurbantwist

theurbantwist Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since you don't have a blog, have you ever thought of contributing to someone else's blog as an relationship expert in a love column or something like that. Most sites like that wouldn't mind you plugging your ebook if you contribute some worthwhile articles to their site.

theurbantwist, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  8. Sebastien_TheKind

Best Answers:
    That's interesting. go with the dating coach, and a wider audience. But then there are books like "I hope they serve beer in hell." His blog went on to him selling it in book form and going New York Times best seller. So it's hard to say.

Writing for another blog? I dunno. Maybe when I have a book out. It would have to be someone that I respect.

9. Sebastien_TheKind

Best Answers:
    So should I just start a simple blog? On Blogger?

10. Michelle E

Michelle E Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The dating and relationship niche is huge, so you won't struggle for an audience... I know.. the problem is the strategy and how to go ahead with this. There is no one strategy, most of them work, but you have to decide on one or two, and do them properly, rather than try all and sundry and get nowhere. I would say that capturing your audience with some good free content and then marketing to your list would be the best way to go right now.

Michelle E, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  11. Michelle E

Michelle E Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes in the first instance, create your own blogger blog, you can then link to anything you create later on.

Michelle E, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  12. Justin_Dupre

Justin_Dupre Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you would have much better chance creating a blog and do article writing with this. I don't see anyone I know have much success with dating ebook. Good luck!

Justin_Dupre, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  13. Sebastien_TheKind

Best Answers:
    Well,,,,,David Deangelo (Eben Pagan), Mystery, Neil Strauss, Brad P, Mehow, Gambler, Juggler......there are many who have done very, very well.

Sebastien_TheKind, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  14. lisaoliver

lisaoliver Peon

Best Answers:
    If you do the whole "network" system - where you have a blog (your own preferable to blogspot) that you can then send traffic to from places like Squidoo, Hubpages, Article Directories and your Social Networking sites - and then have links to those places in your forum signatures as well, then you could have quite a sustainable traffic system built up in a short amount of time - and the benefit of doing this work is that your marketing message will be out there for a long time. Guest blogging or being interviewed is another way of reaching other people's subscriber lists and of course if you play your keywords right then you will also get a lot of traffic from search engines over time.
    Best of luck with your book
    Lisa :)

lisaoliver, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  15. happy212

happy212 Peon

Best Answers:
    when your finish with that book sell it on clickbank rather than amazon, you will get more people promoting therefore more profits

happy212, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  16. mike burngasser

mike burngasser Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Definitely sell your eBook on ClickBank.

Get that book out there ASAP (in under 1 month) and start marketing. You're new. This first eBook will be a total flop, so don't sit around for several years writing it.

Get the experience, then move on to learning how to market products. Just because you write an eBook, doesn't mean it will ever sell if no one sees it...

mike burngasser, Feb 22, 2011 IP
  17. CrowX-

CrowX- Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use twitter to promote your ebook. I'm currently selling an ebook on how to do that, and I'm using the method to sell the same ebook(eating my own dog food) and it's working fine so far. Used it on another ebook before writing this one, and it earned me over $4000, with $2300 in the first 3 days of selling.
    You can check it out here if you like: http://webmonetizing.wordpress.com/

CrowX-, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  18. sprks79

sprks79 Peon

Best Answers:
    It varies. But mainstreetcm is right, my first ebook in the online business genre was really difficult to write even though I had tons of actual experience, but once I got started it went smooth. Price depends on market and projected quality. Alot of ebooks price themselves at the $7, $27 marker and do well, however if it is quality info a higher tag will do as well. My first ebook on online businesses was a step by step instruction manual for making money with 10 different online businesses. It did very well, and I only offer it a few times a year and its never the same as to reduce market saturation. Making sure the quality is there will be the biggest step. Promoting via social networking can help tremendously.

sprks79, Feb 23, 2011 IP