1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NEWB To Web Development, How Do I Redirect Users To Another Page Based On Their Responses In a Form?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Kyle Papili, Jul 13, 2015.

I am developing, or atleast attempting to, a site for a local school. Students will need to be able to load up the site and then from there get to a specific page based upon which class site they are looking for. I have setup a simple page with a form that has three drop-down-menu questions.
    1. Grade
    2. Subject
    3. Teacher
    Based upon their selections in the form, I need to redirect them to the correct URL. I realize I could do this in JavaScript with several if statements. Although, my JavaScript knowledge is very limited and I do not wish to have any popup windows attacking the user. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Kyle Papili, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What is the site/page/form programmed in?

Javascript is typically a poor choice of language to use exclusively for form processing and redirection. Browsers can override a lot of it, and it's completely visible to the end user which makes it a lot more vulnerable to hacking and other attacks than a server side language.

jestep, Jul 14, 2015 IP
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As it's for a school, why not try Moodle? It's a CMS (Content Management System) orientated towards education. Let's the focus remain on making content rather than programming.

I appreciate this does not answer your question but steer you in a different direction. To give an actual "answer" we would need to know what server-side scripting options you have available, e.g. PHP, Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.

ryan_uk, Jul 14, 2015 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers: