1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NEW Yahoo! update? Again..

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by _vlada_, Sep 24, 2005.

1. saintdw

saintdw Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, all of my keywords have returned to previous positions!

Weird.

saintdw, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  2. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    yahoo says there is 3 million results for website design?

doesn't it usually say like 30 million?

ferret77, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  3. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    is one of yahoos datacenters in texas?

4. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can definately testify to that. They are reporting somewhere between 5 - 10 % of their normal search results.

Hmm.. and why is this update thing are not in yahoo blog (like the previous one a few mth ago)?

iskandar, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just writing about that here. I think what we're seeing is just temporary. I'd be amazed if it wasn't. Either that or Yahoo decided to remove 90% of their index, lol.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  6. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have 2 ecomm sites. No AdSense, no affil, no redirects, nothing that would cause a problem. One is 3 years old, the other 2 years. Both have been wiped off the Yahoo! map. One site has a paid directory listing that is ranked #1 by popularity (for 2 years running).

When I say wiped off I mean... from 500 indexed pages to 3. I don't even rank for my domain names.

wrkalot, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  7. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks for info!

I hope that Y will reduce index to 0.1% so we finally can relax, and will never expect anything from Y. which is much better than ruining income from month to month much more and more :rolleyes:

_vlada_, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  8. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    No problem. The results don't make much sense right now either. Looks at the results for coop ad network. Results 6, 7, 8 & 9 are from two forums (disclaimer...one of them is mine) that have a link at the top of the page that says "coop ad network". Some of the other results are about the coop, some are not. This isn't going to stick...no way it can.

Right now Yahoo isn't even on page 1 in their own engine for the search "search engine".

GuyFromChicago, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  9. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:

Interesting, as I refresh screen with results they are dropping. From minute to minute. I never saw something like this.

"Results 1 - 10 of about 1,250 for coop ad network" funny. Hope it is not some afghan worm..

_vlada_, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  10. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    this is giving me a nervous condition

11. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    Geez, one of my sites is showing an increase by 50 pages or so everytime i refresh the page. It's definitely very fierce activity in Y! datacenters right now. I'm very happy to have witnessed this update live :p

webmistress, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  12. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    webmistress brought up a great point earlier - chill.

I would say don't over-react just yet. It seems that everytime any SE goes through an update that all things are in flux.

However, I cannot say that I'm surprised or disappointed. Yahoo! needs to clean up shop a little bit to maintain authenticity IMO and this is a good move in a smart direction.

More over, I will not go and tweak any pages just based on a momentary hysteria. Better to let the data centers synchronize and then see where the chips have fallen after a few days or even a few weeks.

So far, I'm getting my ass handed to me on a platter with this update - but that doesn't mean anything yet IMO - to prevail, I think persistence, professionalism and patience must be remembered - with emphasis on the patience.

Good luck to ALL of us :)

wrmineo, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  13. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The only good thing i see so far is the fact that Yahoo actually display the search result with proper description.

It seemed to read my meta description tags and put only that, without the usual meta description + some text from the top of the page.

However, it's too early to say if this will stay.

If they continue to have this circus update every month, I need to go and get a normal 9-5 job.

iskandar, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  14. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree on poor relevancy. Combine that with no weather forecast on this, plus all of the bogus numbers regarding pages found, pages per site, BLs per site, and I am left to conclude that either Y! has a major problem on its hands, or they are in the midst of resetting lots of variables back to zero prior to a recount of nearly everything.

If it were the latter, I would think that such a task could be done on a backup copy of the index. But, I'm no engineer so that is probably easier said than done.

Either way, I think this is going to hurt Y! market share if things are like this for more than just a couple of days. Right now Y! is a second choice at best. If searchers see this mess for too long, they are sure to switch to another SE as their secondary favorite.

G engineers must be ROFL.

/*tom*/

longcall911, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  15. michail1

michail1 Peon

Best Answers:
    My $0.02
    Having well over 400 sites. Legit and, well, other.

I believe they are using some sort of backup.
    ALL my sites have reverted back to links well over 4 months ago. I bought well over 100 sites about 4 months ago, and ALL the links to them have reverted to BEFORE my purchase. The sites used to be .ASP and mine are .PHP, so easy to spot, since all of them were changed before the July problem which cost me enough.

I think this is a combo problem. My major income totally legit site has also dropped major. There is now links to products on that site that I haven't sold in almost a year; however, I do admit that I haven't searched Y for links to old product. I am surprised that the top links to that site are to old product.

So, my thought is something big happened and not just an update. Maybe a huge loss of data, and went to a old backup, and now searching on a new algo.

DPS is only on about 20 of my sites, so can't blaime DPS. (No, not all the sites are cross linked (many are though), so I know of my sites which have no DPS and no Adsense. Basically, my indexed pages are down totally accross the board.

I have a site I made specifically to keep track of all my indexed pages with all three SEs and PR. This update is done daily at 8AM. Yesterday was fine. So, for ALL of my sites, this problem happened after 8AM and before 1PM PST.
    If you want to see this tool (site script), email me as I don't know if it is against the rules of this forum.

Edit: Rereading my English on this post, I thought, Wow. Maybe I should go back to school, or fix it. Well, too tired and shouldn't be still typing. Bed time.

michail1, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  16. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

Im seeing this too.

my www.lincolnvscadillac.com site had almost 300,000 indexed pages a week ago, was down to 75,000 this morning, and now is back up to 118,000 pages indexed. They must be rebuilding their index.

joeychgo, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  17. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A real estate KW I follow has dropped from 2-3 million results returned to 63,700 results returned.........

Is Yahoo Broken?????

Not to mention the SERPS are bad. Not bad cause I don't see my sites but bad cause the relevancy.

larysmith711, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  18. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think those are huge data lost. See the site in my sig line. It was indexed only 2 days ago by Yahoo and everything is appearing as it was 2 days back when i do a site: operation. It's in my opinion it's a major update.

If some of you are refering to a few hours old rumor about huge data chunks lost in Y! that has been circulating in webmasterworld then then simply forget it right now. (although it could be true) In 2 years, i've seen more "what if eh?" theories coming from this board than all seo forums grouped together. :rolleyes:

It's just too early for certainties.

webmistress, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  19. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    now - 10 mins later - we're at 142,000 pages indexed...

joeychgo, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  20. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your kidding right?

I have KW's that have lost 90% of the results returned and you don't think it's a huge data lost. I would hate to see what you call huge.

larysmith711, Sep 24, 2005 IP