1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Weapon Against Comment Spam for WordPress

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by WebGeek182, Jan 18, 2008.

?

How big a problem is comment spam for you as a blogger?

1. HUGE PROBLEM: I HATE SPAMMERS!!

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. MAJOR PROBLEM: Spam is a definite problem and wastes time.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. MEDIUM NUISANCE: Yeah, I get a fair amount of spam, and it's annoying.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. MINOR NUISANCE: I get some spams here and there, but it doesn't bother me too much.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. NO PROBLEM: What's spam?

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Grump

Grump Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there an update on your testing with MU? I have this installed on 3 stand-along blogs, but would love to install it on my MU platform too.

By the way, I made a very small donation and would like to encourage others to do what they can. This is a very fine mod.

Thanks,

Grump

Grump, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  2. WebGeek182

WebGeek182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Rich,

You're welcome. :) I totally understand your concern. There were a number of reasons that I was hesitant to go there as well, mostly server speed, but security too. The database access involved is minimal and the way it's coded won't open your site up to attack. (I'm extremely security conscious.) It became a necessity to add database access to increase the bot-fighting powers of the plugin. The funny thing is, that to give you the option to turn off those functions (without actually editing the code, would require database access to store that value - so it's a catch 22. :) I'll look into it though...there may be something I can do for a future version. Version 1.3.1 is still available on WordPress.org if you prefer, and it has no database access so that's still a viable option - it just isn't as powerful as 1.5, and doesn't have the counter.

Hey Grump,

Thanks for the donation - much appreciated, even small ones help buy my coffee. :) I haven't gotten a chance to test it on WordPress MU, but that is something I definitely need to do. I wrote you an email back...maybe we can chat sometime about that.

Thanks again for the great feedback everyone!

WebGeek182, Feb 25, 2008 IP