1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Tool - Is this Possible?

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Such Great Heights, Mar 5, 2004.

OK here is what popped into my head while taking an economics quiz at school recently.

Can you make a tool, or maybe a script because it might have to be on someones own web server, that gives a Click through rating for a given keyword phrase?

I did this recently for a client to show them an estimate of how much they are missing as far as traffic goes.

Search a site's log files for Google (or any other SE) referrs.
    Find out how many times someone gets to the domain in question from a particular keyword. Compare it with the estimated times that keyword is searched perday (overture, or wordtracker) and spit out a percentage.

like say "blue widget" is searched 700/day and the domain in question counts 250 incoming visits from google for "blue widget" a day ago so their click through rate is (250/700) 37.5%

Then later in the month they can visit this tool again and see that their CTR has gone up. Most likely because their posistion in the SERPs went up. Or maybe they changed the title of their page so the link is more interesting to the searcher.

I guess this is just like the CTR on google's adwords, but not for paid inclusions. plus you have to have access to your log files, so it would be personal.

Does this make sense? Is there already a tool that does this? Stat Apps, like WebTrends, AWStats, don't get this detailed, but it would be cool. Maybe it can just be an add on to AWStats?

OK I've blabbed too much.

Such Great Heights, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It would be interesting if you were able to access the actual search per day numbers. Overture and Wordtracker data is so tiny (like 1%) of the actual traffic, it's hard to really base anything on it. The numbers get more skewed, because you would have to pick some multiplier to multiply the Wordtracker/Overture numbers by to try and make a guess at the Google numbers.

Personally, I think the title would have very little to do with people clicking on it. 99% of the time they are going to take the highest ranking result one that has a title relevant to their search. I think it would be hard to even measure click through changed based on the title change. So in the end, it comes back to ranking... At least that's my opinion...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  3. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    That's true, I forget sometimes that overture numbers are only a tiny percentage of the actual traffic.

But your right, it would be very interesting to see the actual numbers for certain keywords for Google. Is this something they'd want to keep secret? and why?

Would Yahoo! see it and be able to model their engine a little differently, or would it be something other SEs could base them self off of. Like, well if Google gets this many searches for a particular keyword, we are only 300,000 behind.

Maybe this would be good, because maybe Alta Vista gets more searches for business related/themed keywords, and Google gets more Entertainment related/themed keyword searches, then you could optimize your business or entertainment based site accordingly.

hmmm ...
    oh well worth a thought.

Such Great Heights, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The closest you will get to the Google search data is the click-through prediction system built into AdWords. But even then it's not hard numbers... Just a prediction of how many clicks you will get.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm catching that data but haven't yet written the analysis tool for it. Watch this space!

I wrote a tool to break down to words, nothing more sophisticated, for a simple hitcounter I use. Check out http://www.pcpropertymanager.com/stats/index.php and http://www.propertyinvestor.info/stats/index.php but bear in mind that people visit often and stuff around with the data so what you see might not be useful. You can fix it yourself though.

What I build for botspotter will be quite different.

sarahk, Mar 8, 2004 IP
  6. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought this was interesting and brought it back to see how the advancement was going?

schlottke, Apr 22, 2004 IP