1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New to Twitter

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by TubeScreamer, Jan 13, 2015.

Hi guys,

I've just joined Twitter and I'm having some trouble in understanding how exactly I make a Tweet to someone.
    Basically; I am following someone to whom I wanted to pose a question regarding a particular brand of clothing which they are often seen wearing.. I went onto their Twitter page and clicked on the "Tweet to ......" button under their picture on the left hand side. I then got as far as writing out the short question (well within the allowed word count), and then also added a small photo which I had saved to my computer. All seemed to be well within the limits of what can be sent.. the photo showed up as a thumbnail at the bottom of the message, and I'm also asked if I'd like to add a name to suggest who is in the picture (I've tried it both with and without adding a name), but as soon as I click the "Tweet" button, it seems to attempt to do something for a second (I at first thought that it was simply uploading the Tweet at this point), before returning to the person's Twitter page.. no sign of the Tweet I have just attempted to send, and a message at the top stating "You did not select an image"?

Now, I'm assuming that this is something I'm doing wrong, or not understanding, but I was hoping that someone might be able to explain to me exactly what I should be doing differently. As far as I can see.. there is no further way that I can select the image which I have chosen?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thank you

TubeScreamer, Jan 13, 2015 IP
  2. PenguinWeb

PenguinWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Tubescreamer

I assume you're doing this using the twitter website rather than an app on your phone/etc

Don't forget that the photo will use up 23 characters - not sure if this is the problem?

Is the photo one that is already on the internet somewhere? If so you could potentially post the tweet linking to the photo?

PenguinWeb, Jan 13, 2015 IP
  3. TubeScreamer

TubeScreamer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the reply.

Yes this is done on the Twitter website.. could that be a problem?

I've just had another go at it, and I'm sure that I'm doing everything correctly; From the person's Twitter page, I write out the message which leaves me 50 odd free characters left. I then click to add a photo, which opens up a window so that I can select from files stored on my computer. I then navigate to the file and open the image. The image is then displayed as a thumbnail below the message which I have just written, and I am given the option to name who is in the photo (as I said earlier, I have tried this with and without adding a name). The appropriate number of characters have also been deducted, and so I am left with 20 odd free characters should I wish to use them.
    There are then no other possible options which I can see other than to either add another photo, 'Tweet', there's something to do with my location, and then there is also a small 'x' in the top right hand corner of the thumbnail of the photo which I have already added, and I presume that is just to remove it from the Tweet?
    So I can see nothing else left I can do other than to click the 'Tweet' button, at which point, something seems to try and upload for a second, before the text box containing my Tweet disappears, and a message appears at the top of the page suggesting that I did not select an image. I really don't see how else it can selected? There is then no sign of the Tweet what so ever.

Yes the image is already on the internet.. on the person's website in fact, but it is one of those websites where the picture in question shows only briefly amongst a slideshow of other images, and so even if I were to add a link, I'd also need to give a description of the item of clothing in question, and I would imagine I'd then likely run out of characters to use. I will give it a try though!

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

4. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does seem like the characters or the photo extension is the issue. Just do it simpler. Upload the photo on a photo sharing site, get a short URL and add it in the actual tweet. This is how most people do it anyways ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 13, 2015 IP
  5. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes agree with Rado_ch just check that out too

CYCchips, Jan 13, 2015 IP
  6. TubeScreamer

TubeScreamer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help guys, that appears to have worked now.. there is still no sign of the Tweet, but I would imagine that it only gets displayed on their Twitter page should they decide to respond to me?

Thanks again

7. theman 118

theman 118 Peon

Best Answers:
    @reecerobertson

theman 118, Jan 13, 2015 IP
  8. PenguinWeb

PenguinWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    If you go onto your twitter profile, and click "tweets and replies" it should show there.

PenguinWeb, Jan 13, 2015 IP