1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New to digitalpoint, have a questions

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Altus, May 16, 2005.

A friend of mine recommended this site to me and so far i have been occupied for hours on end reading up on various topics.

Anyway, I have started making a website and I was curious how important w3c valdiation is for a good placement on SERP. I through a few popular links through http://validator.w3.org and most of them had errors. So, should I spend a lot of time making the html perfect or live with the imperfections?

Thanks

Altus, May 16, 2005 IP
  2. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Few things in life are perfect, personally I don't think you get penalised much as long as your site does not throw up errors, however maybe other people would disagree, either way if you can create completely clean code then for longevity I guess it would certainly do you no harm.

sji2671, May 16, 2005 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I dunno. FWIW, I've never ran any of my sites through the w3c validator (just my rss feed) and it does not seem to have caused me any issues with achieving very good rankings.

mopacfan, May 16, 2005 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Code should be clean but w3c valid code may not work as intended.

Thus one needs to find a balance as clean and general as possible but may not pass w3c.

I've no problems positioning without fully valid w3c code but it's as clean as possible.

Expat

expat, May 16, 2005 IP
  5. Altus

Altus Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, thats what i figured but its better to ask the experts then go on a hunch.

Altus, May 16, 2005 IP
  6. CompressedAir

CompressedAir Peon

Best Answers:
    I always try to make sure my html code is compliant. It can be a bit of a daunting task to do it at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard to keep going. The w3 validation is helpful in pointing out any obvious errors you might have in your code too, or point out things you have missed (missing alt attriubutes is a common one). I like to do everything right the first time. :)
    Granted, some things are tricky to do and have them still compliant, especially if you are trying to follow a strict doctype like XHTML 1.1. Either way, just make sure your code is moderately accurate and you can be a little more sure, it will display properly across most browsers.

CompressedAir, May 16, 2005 IP
  7. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Validation isnt that important at all, but you obvious errors should be covered for your readers and customers.

City2, May 16, 2005 IP
  8. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Omg it is to important! The whole point of it is to make your site as accessible to all people as possible, this includes the blind, handicapped, etc.

I hate comments like that. Gonna have to bring my web designer friends over who can explain much better than me with lengthy explanations, it's not my forte. :confused:

Maybe there's a page about it somewhere. Will have to look.

Colleen, May 16, 2005 IP