1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New to ASP/ASP.net

Discussion in 'C#' started by redhits, Mar 4, 2008.

I am running on Microsoft Windows XP

Can somebody tell me what should i install/do in order to be able to have a web server that support ASP.net files?

What should i install ? I known one of them it's microsoft IIS Server, but anything else?!

Also what editor should i downland to work with asp.net files?
    by the way .aspx = asp.net fileS?!

redhits, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  2. alemcherry

alemcherry Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, IIS. You wont need anything else to run asp.net, but to develop, you may need an IDE like Visual Studio.net

alemcherry, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  3. Free Born John

Free Born John Guest

Best Answers:
    I think .Net comes with its own built in web server nowadays, but I always use it with IIS as I prefer working that way.

To develop you <b>need</b> visual studio. That's a free download from http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/default.aspx

For databases mysql works fine, access is great but slower, and there's a free version of sql server (sql server express). Personally speaking I much prefer mysql.

Don't try developing with any editor except visual studio (aka visual web develop), as it's just not worthwhile.

Once installed, it's the best web development environment on the planet.

Free Born John, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  4. dilipv

dilipv Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

i would like to suggest that if you are using asp.net 1.1(2003) then u need to add IIS server with the help of Windows XP CD, but if you are using Dot (2.0)2005 , then you need not to do any this everything is inbuilt provided
    you only need to install the software that's it.

Any reply or query is most welcome.
    Thank you
    Jitesh
    Programmer
    www.intelcs.com

dilipv, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  5. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Visual Studio (paid) or Visual Web Developer Express (free) are the normal development tools for ASP.Net - there isnt the greatest of difference between the two for small projects and you can download free GUIs for compiling code which is the one bit that VWDE is missing

IIS is all you technically need for sites however both of the above have test servers built in and IIS for XP Pro is limited and so not viable for live site hosting. That said, you will almost certainly be wanting to use an SQL server and the natural partner for .Net is SQL Server (rather than MySQL - though you can use this too) and again there is a free version called SQL Server Express which is perfectly servicable for both development testing and small live sites

AstarothSolutions, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  6. urbn

urbn Peon

Best Answers:
    For ASP classic you will simply need IIS of any version. This can be run on win 2k pro, XP Pro, 2003 server and I'm not sure which versions of vista.

ASP.NET is the same as ASP classic except you will need the .net framework installed on the machine which is available though windows update and will most likely be on your machine.

Your best bet would be to simply spend the $5.00 a month for a windows host instead of trying to get it to work locally. You can technically get ASP to run on a linux server but don't waste your time.

urbn, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  7. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    You can technically run .Net on linux too but agree that the port isnt that great and given windows -v- linux hosting prices are at most a couple of dollars difference it isnt worth the messing about

AstarothSolutions, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  8. Free Born John

Free Born John Guest

Best Answers:
    yes, but he'll stilll need a local environment to develop and test his work before uploading.

Free Born John, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  9. entwickler

entwickler Member

Best Answers:
    you can look visual studio 2008 express edition which has integrated web server. If you want to host you will need to install iis. then instal .net framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 and run from command prompt c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.xxxxx\ aspnet_regiis -i which will add the asp.net handlers to the iis

MCSD.Net

entwickler, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  10. SibTiger33

SibTiger33 Peon

Best Answers:
    Visual Studio Express

This should come with all the tools you need for local .net development

SibTiger33, Mar 19, 2008 IP