1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

new to adwords, typical conversion rate?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by disgust, Jun 8, 2004.

roughly what's an average conversion rate for something you're advertising via adwords?

considering they should be really, really targetted, I'm hoping it'd be quite high, but I really have no idea

disgust, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    another question I was wondering about..

if your bidding amount is lower than everyone elses, do your ads just never show? do you need to keep on increasing it until they do?

disgust, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  3. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no rough estimate. The Keywords that you are targetting, your ad, the dollar amount and your competition make it too variable.

Help Desk, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  4. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The more focused/targeted the keyphrase(s), the higher the CTR can be. For ads with thousands of impressions, I'm averaging between 3 and 4% CTR.

Your ads should show at the end of the list (page 2, 3, 4, etc. depending upon the number of ads competing for a search) in the worst case as long as your daily spending limit does not cap the number of impressions.

Bernard, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  5. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    I average 3-4%. Depending on the keyword, Google will delete it for you at less than 1% but thats not a hard and fast rule. I have one keyword that was at .5% and Google just warned me. I had to raise my bid amount.

cobaltlady, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  6. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Im in the 8-10% range on most of my ads.

schlottke, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  7. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Almost the same here.

vinyl, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  8. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for your responses.

rather than creating a new thread I have some related newbie-adwords questions:

does google have a non-disclosure agreement for this like they do for adsense?

and what exactly does the bid amount per click change? if someone's paying more than you, does that mean you won't show at all? or only the "top x" bidders show? or what?

disgust, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It will show you but on position > 20 or page 3 or some useless page. It will show in your average position and yuo will see hardly any impressions and even less clicks. Pretty useless not being on page 1 I found. Keep increasing till you find yourself (don't rely on their estimate) on page 1 thus amongst the top 8. So all bidders show but in order of their bid.

T0PS3O, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  10. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    what about for adsense ads?

when you bid for adwords you automatically show on adsense ads as well, right? or is there a seperate bidding process?

disgust, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Adsense shows up in your adwords stats as 'Content' as oppose to Search clicks and impressions. We don't get many clicks from it but on some of the approx 800 ads a lot of impressions. It's not a source we are focussing on for now.

You can turn it off btw. You don't have to show your ads on content partner sites. You can change it per campaign under edit campaign settings.

T0PS3O, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  12. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for the tips :)

are you able to see roughly what the price you'd need to bid at would be before you actually do it, or do you "bid and see where you get"?

disgust, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  13. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    If I want a adword ad to reach "content search" in adsense. I bid up my keyword to the top 4 positions.

cobaltlady, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  14. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    is there any way to see roughly how much it would take to get there without actually doing it?

I suppose not, eh?

disgust, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  15. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    You can do a new keyword in adwords and check the "estimate" it will give you a estimated position and keep bumping up your bid till you reach the top 4.

cobaltlady, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  16. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    Your position will depend on a combination of your bid and your CTR, so there is really no other way than trial and error as far as I know.

To improve your position you can either increase your bids, or modify your ad in a way so that it draws a higher CTR. Of course, if you do both, your position will increase more, and the higher up on the list you show, the higher your CTR will likely be...

:) Geir

Geir, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  17. Boston SEO Freelancer

Boston SEO Freelancer Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the industry you are in because CVR depends on how competitive you keywords are. Its really complex considering how many new sites enter adwords everyday.

Boston SEO Freelancer, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  18. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    Boston SEO, stop reviving 4 year old posts, many issues 4 years ago are not longer valid

robertpriolo, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  19. j0hnx777

j0hnx777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, I realize this was an old post. However, I think what was said then still applies today. 3 - 4 % CTR. What I want to know, is what is the conversion rate of that CTR. How many sales are issued from actual clicks? How many people buy from your site when you use adwords, versus other online marketing techniques?

To make things more clear, let's say that out of 100 impressions, I get 3 clicks (3% CTR). Those 3 clicks cost me $3 (~$1.00 / keyword). Now I get my product for $5 and sell it for $8. I make a goooood mark up (62.5%). However, if those three clicks don't sell anything, then I'm losing money. In this example, I have to make at least a 33% conversion rate before I'm able to make money. If I don't make a 33% conversion rate, then I lose money.

Now I don't know what typical conversion rates are with adwords, but I know that with direct mail I can expect that roughly 1 out of 1000 people will respond with a sale. We don't really have solid statistics on adwords conversion rates, which is why it's a really scary adventure for a business owner looking to jump into adwords.To make things short and sweet, adwords is tempting, but I would warn other business owners out there about whether or not it would actually be lucrative for them to think about adwords.A much better option may be search engine optimization if you're good at it. All I know is that for $1.00/click adwords scares the hell out of me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    j0hnx777, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  20. Phil_T

Phil_T Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    CTR is one thing and conversion rates is another. Different products have different conversion rates and it depends on how targeted your keywords are. You may have only a 4% conversion rate but a 10% conversion rate. The cost of clicks also varies depending on the keywords you bid for and how competitive they are.

Phil_T, Sep 21, 2012 IP