1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New SPAM sites...billions of results!!!!

Discussion in 'Google' started by Nintendo, Jun 17, 2006.

1. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    HAHA Time to make subdomains!

lorien1973, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  2. SponsoredLinks

SponsoredLinks Peon

Best Answers:
    What the guy did is not illegal. he violated a few dozon TOSs, but didnt break any actual laws as far as anyone can tell. feel free to correct me by quoting actual law or precendent. The fact is that he worked it to a point that seems criminal because of how well it worked, and how simple the method actually was.

nintendo, anyone who thinks that you outted this guy is a retard. WH or BH. this guy outted himself by making such a huge splash. the fact that you searched for anything at all, and he came up is what outted him. not a single person has spoken out about what you did negatively. so whatever information your getting is flawed.

As usualy everyone on this forum loves to make it about wh vs bh. the amazing level of whinyness because your playing so very much by the rules... oh but are you? ever buy a link on a site that wouldnt normally link to you? ever build a blog just to build some linkage to your main site? ever create content, just to create mass of your site? the fact is that BH just does it with a bigger bat and is not afraid to swing harder.

This incident is not about bh vs wh. its about a flawed system, that everyone thinks shouldnt be messed with because its perfect. this proves it isnt. and it will happen again. BHs actually improve the system by finding the flaws, and pointing them out through utilization.

conflict breeds adaptation. google will come out stronger in the end. and frankly this is just a funny moment in history in which we can say "holy crap that guy got 9847505982875275873 pages in the index. nothing more. just wish i found it first.

SponsoredLinks, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  3. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, I'm sure this guy has nothing to fear from a legal standpoint, he would have covered his ass there.

My question is, does he know for sure whose toes he stepped on? There's money to be made in spamming. As I found out in the adult entertainment business, big money always attracts organized crime types. I'm not trying to sound tin foil hattish, this really happens. A few years back someone managed to get into a few db's where cc's were stored and made several thousand purchases from places like Macy's (I know because my card was one of them). They never made purchases over $300, and had everything shipped to a series of apartments in several states all rented on a monthly basis under assumed names. According to Macy's it was large enough that the only way it could have been pulled off was through organized crime.

3 years ago at a job I was at, we got hit with a virus. It was weird, because the guy who hit us actually called first to let the sales guy know he was sending him something. This made sure his email wasn't missed. It was a custom written virus, aimed specifically at our industry (mortgages). It wasn't self propagating, it looked like it was meant to run on the machine it was delivered to and that was it. When we cracked it we found out that it was ftp'ing info to an open server, which was periodically being grabbed from somewhere else and moved over. I don't know how they didn't realize this, but it was easy to scan the traffic and log into the server manually, allowing us to see. It was updating with info from different machines about once every 10 seconds. This means that the virus was hand delivered to hundreds of mortgage related companies. It was weird enough that we called the FBI. They said there usually wasn't anything they could do about this sort of thing. A couple of days later they let us know that it looked like Russian Mafia, did warrant an investigation, and needed the harddrive of the infected machine and all data we had collected while investigating. Unfortunately, they said "it's not our policy to keep civilians informed of the progress or outcome of one of our investigations", so I have no clue what happened after that. Close mouthed bastards. :)

So... would spamming to this degree be all that much different from moving into a drug lords neighborhood and selling crack on his corner? From a monetary standpoint, I mean. Personally, I'd probably be at least a little concerned. Especially if he did indeed post here. I mean, if Guido and Rocco do show up on Shawn's doorstep looking for this guys IP and signup email, you think he'd give it up? Did he have the sense to cloak his IP before posting here? Did he cloak it while registering the domains? Maybe. Who knows.

-Michael

PS @Expertu - "Well, some of us are not so up-to-date like you are ;)"
    Maybe, but you should at least read the posting date. It's kind of like the guys who find 3 year old posts on Google and reply to them asking when the next Google Dance is. :p

mvandemar, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  4. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont try this at home. There are too many noobies that are gonna attempt what this spammer did and will all fail so if you are thinking about jumping in feet first, find a better way to waste your time.

IamNed, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  5. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    why? how do you know?

ferret77, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  6. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll save ya the trouble... he thinks he knows something that no one else knows. Because some steps were left out of the instructions, he thinks everyone who tries this will fail because they don't know how to get indexed.

TheHoff, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  7. Amilo

Amilo Peon

Best Answers:
    I got turned down,maybe i should not of used the username Amilo:rolleyes:

Amilo, Jun 20, 2006 IP
    mihaidamianov likes this.
  8. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I guess I missed the instructions, I'll have read back, I already talked to my host about the wildcard dns, I already have scripts that generate infinite loops of content, I just need to change the urls to sub domains. Not sure how indexing would go.

Even a failure is still a learning experience

ferret77, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  9. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    There will be (are I'm sure) plenty of folks with just enough ability and knowledge to do much of the same thing. You just have to take a look at legitimate sites using subdomains to know "If you build it, Googlebot will come" regardless of whether or not you're even trying.

This is a giant "crack" in Big Daddy that needs far more than some "spackle and a band-aid" to fix. Will be interesting to see what's to come. I posted some additional ramblings on my blog.

Dave

CrankyDave, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  10. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Google is :eek:
    If spam is out then some good sites are also out of google index now. :(

Mong, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  11. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well I think there is a need of some small script (as this guy used) but it needs to be well thought out. I mean, Google may have to block lets say more than 20 subdomains, if you are a trusted server or free provider then you subscribe and you be able to submit and use billions of subdomains.

Or if it is said that Google got the thinking machine that can analyze the content on your site, why don't they use all the technics such as translator, etc and see whether the content is meaningful or no.

There are many thing we can point out that will lead Google to a better standing and protection from this kind of frauds.

ludwig, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  12. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    ludwig ... Google is 100s of steps ahead of the game, they just happen to get exploited in an area they didn't anticipate or foresee ... there have been quite credible sites using similar techniques for many many years an have been quite successful and continue to be. Case in point!! So lets all move on ....

LaCabra, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  13. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know how far is Google, but the thing is that they knew about the problem, but did not pay attention. If they continue that attitude I myself will tell my users and friends not to use Google as a search engine. That will lead them going 100s of steps back if lots of webmasters do the way I.

They need to give quality results to the person who is searching and not just results.

That's what is my point

ludwig, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  14. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. For a company of almost 7,000 employees, with probably hundreds of QA/QC, it was impossible to miss those sites in the results. There was also a thread at WMW before this one that was summarily deleted. People like CrankyDave had been complaining about the dominance of Craigslist via subdomains for months.

Whatever subdomain problem they introduced recently with the BigDaddy crawler is now painfully obvious. 50,000 people read about it on my site and the story was picked up by the Guardian Tech, a WSJ blogger, RoughType, SEW, TW, and about a hundred others. I guess it takes that kind of notice to get a spam report filed these days.

TheHoff, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  15. Sandpetra

Sandpetra Guest

Best Answers:
    You worry about how Google sees your site and you spend time trying to be whiter than white - and all the time people are making bucks out of this!

Time for a 'billion page count' flag in the algorythm!:)

Sandpetra, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  16. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Or at least a $0 -> $20,000 / day flag for Adsense, eh? Wouldn't it be awesome if it turns out this guy has an Adsense rep? (yup, he was using 3 blocks of Adsense when it was first reported here)

TheHoff, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  17. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But can't they determine who they paid out that money. I mean if my details are blocked then they can find out who I am or who got the money even if it is paypal.....

I think there is nothing impossible, so if any company whose money (ads) was (were) out on that sites can sue Google and get the money back, so Google will have to loose the money they have given out to the cheater.

What should Google do then, find him/her and get the money back, moreover put that person to court. Otherwise, there are thousands of people who can find ways to cheat Google and get money in another way. So this needs to be a worldwide thing and end with a big punishment so that noone dares to do it again.

Its not I am against the person who did it, I am starting to be against Google.

I respoect the person who did it, none of us, even knowing all the way to get there, spent the time on creating a big hole in Google. I think its now gOOgle.

ludwig, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  18. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't see this in the WSJ - do you have a URL for that writeup?

Yea, one heck of a way to file a spam report! ;-)

hulkster, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  19. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    Subdomains themselves are not bad, the way Big Daddy is handling them is. The CL problem is one of duplicate content. Each and every result is a duplicate page. Google decided they were going to treat subdomains as individual sites. IF they are unable to correct the problem, don't be surprised to see them stop treating them that way.

Dave

CrankyDave, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  20. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    TheHoff, Jun 20, 2006 IP