1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Site Domain

Discussion in 'General Business' started by joshril, Mar 27, 2005.

I just registered the domain for the new site I have started working on. I currently host my other website through godaddy. Can I have both sites hosted under the same hosting plan, and is there anything negative about doing this other than sharing bandwidth? These sites are not related in any way and will not link to each other.

joshril, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  2. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think shared hosting is a problem as long as you don't heavily crosslink.

MattUK, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  3. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    just a thought, you may want to check to ensure that both sites will have different ip addresses if you want to link between both sites...

daboss, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  4. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most hosts that offer shared hosting offer additional IPs at a small price. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't plan on crosslinking though.

MattUK, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  5. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Josh, sounds like you will be fine with that plan....

You can always easily upgrade if need be, but with two completely different sites that don't link to each other you should be fine....

The only negitive thing about being on a shared server is when you are given an IP address, there is likely to be 100's of other sites on that IP address aswell...

Each server can hold hundreds and sometimes thousands of websites...

So basically Godaddy will sell 1000 spots on the server for 3.95 each netting them 3950.00 a month.. That is how they are able to offer such a great price...

Now in very rare cases, if one website gets banned from a search engine it's possible that a search engine would recognise that it has banned that IP address... and think that it is you since you have the same IP....

That's the only bad part of shared hosting....

clasione, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  6. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up.. I didn't really understand exactly how that worked.. Would it be worth the extra money to get a dedicated server, or do you think I'll be ok if I leave it alone for the time being??

joshril, Mar 29, 2005 IP