1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Server New Experience

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by oo7ml, Jan 24, 2015.

Hi,

I have just bought a monthly VM.

I have been building websites for the last 10 years, but i am quite new to Server world.

I've figured out how to create new hosting / cPanel accounts for new clients via WHM, however i am struggling to get an understanding of what is required from the domain side.

Can anyone help with the steps required for the following two scenarios.

01 - i've bought a new domain name for my client, and now i need to link it to the hosting / cPanel account that i have just created for them

02 - my client has purchased a domain name else where, and i now need to link it to the hosting / cPanel account that i have just created for them

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help.

oo7ml, Jan 24, 2015 IP
  2. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Both your questions have the same answer. When you purchased a server, you must have pointed a domain to it's IPS
    ex: domain.com
    You must have done this while ordering the server.

Go to your domain control panel and add A records like:
    ns1.domain.com (points to your server IP)
    ns2.domain.com (points to your server IP)
    ns3.domain.com (points to your server IP)
    etc...

This next step might be optional depending on your domain provider.
    Using the same ns1, ns2, etc. create child nameservers, again pointing to the same IPS

Now when you or your clients buy domain names (from anywhere), all they need to do is use these ns1.domain.com , ns2.domain.com nameservers with their domains.
    ex: I bought: mydomain.com from godaddy
    and I want to buy hosting from you
    so I'll use ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com in my nameservers for mydomain.com

Once the DNS has propogated, going to mydomain.com will show pages from your server (my hosting account)
    I used to find this too complicated myself, and it took me a lot of time to figure out where I was linking things wrong.

Take care

JEET, Jan 24, 2015 IP
  3. oo7ml

oo7ml Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the detailed reply.

Before i had got my new VM, i was used to pointing external domains to various different name servers, however i've been told that i need to do a lot more when it comes to managing domains with a VM set up... i've been told to do the following... do these steps sound right to you?

01 - log into domain panel
    02 - click dns tab > dns records
    03 - add ‘a’ record with blank field (no domain name) and point to your new server
    04 - add ‘a’ record with www and the domain name (www.domain.com) and point to your new server
    05 - add ‘a’ record with * and the domain name (*.domain.com) and point to your new server
    06 - add ‘mx’ record with blank field (no domain name), with high priority and set mail exchanger to mail.clientdomain.com

I've two questions on this:

A - does the above seem right to you

B - how come i never have to do this before when just pointing a domain name to a new names server

Thanks again for your help

oo7ml, Jan 25, 2015 IP
  4. anyNode

anyNode Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That is not the best way of going about this. The better way to do it is to register your nameservers (ns1.yourcpaneldomain.com & ns2.yourcpaneldomain.com) through your registrar, then pointing all of your sites to those nameservers. The way you mentioned will work, but it is not the most efficient way.

anyNode, Feb 1, 2015 IP