1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New SEO Tools: Robots.txt Builder, Term Targeting & Crawl Test

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by tonyfloyd, Apr 23, 2007.

tonyfloyd, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  2. Swirleigh

Swirleigh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I checked out the robots.txt builder. It's much more indepth than most other robot.txt tools I've seen.

At first glance, it doesn't seem helpful, type your info into big open box, copy paste into file...

But the helpful tools below fill up the big box for you. Each tab gives you information about what kind of spiders you may want to block.. and what areas you might want blocked.

Get your site structure from Yahoo is a new helpful part of this tool.

One of the tools, takes $30 a month membership to tryout... $30 is kind of high.

Swirleigh, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  3. tonyfloyd

tonyfloyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the info swirleigh...i didnt see the one costing $30...

tonyfloyd, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  4. tamar

tamar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    tonyfloyd: are you the webmaster of seoclient.com?

You realize that it's pretty damn obvious that you decided to rip off the ORIGINAL post from Search Engine Land, probably one of the premier blogs on search engines and SEO known to mankind, and then you expect to monetize off of it?

Original content is here: http://searchengineland.com/070420-123020.php

I suggest you stop scraping content, especially because that's a DMCA violation (which, in plain English, means that you've done something illegal). I happen to know a few people you've partnered with for affiliate links, and they can have you banned.

tamar, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  5. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    HA. At least write your own copy man.

manageyourlinks, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  6. tonyfloyd

Best Answers:
    Tamar -

Done....FYI - I didnt know we could not share info from other sites..Sorry.

Tony

7. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Copy and pasting someone else's text on your site, then telling DP to visit your site.... Cmon man. Have some logic here.

You were obv. trying to monetize it, otherwise you would link directly to seo moz and not bother with your site.

manageyourlinks, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  8. tonyfloyd

Best Answers:
    i honestly didnt think tha was a no-no.....i see many sites doing that (CNN, Fox Sports...etc...)....i guess i found out the hard way...sorry....thanks for the feedback....will obviously not do it again....how do the others do it legally?

9. tamar

tamar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are 2 issues with what you did --

1. Duplicate content.
    2. Not citing your original source.

With 1, you will get your domain, not the respected Search Engine Land domain, banned from SERPs.
    With 2, it just looks unprofessional. The better way to do this is to rewrite the content in your own words and then provide a link to Search Engine Land offering thanking them (e.g. bottom of your page, say "Via Search Engine Land" or "Hat Tip to Search Engine Land"). The folks monitoring the logs at Search Engine Land will appreciate that you've linked to them, and that's one of the easiest ways to get your blog posts recognized.

As for News sites like CNN, Fox Sports, etc., they generally get their "duplicate news" through a partnership with companies such as Reuters and the Associated Press and these companies have given them explicit permission to do so. With them, it's a very different situation. Bloggers, especially those that have no credibility at present, put themselves at great risk when they scrape content: you risk being deindexed and dealing with DMCA issues.

I would advise you to remove *any* such posts that are duplicates of others on your blog.

tamar, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  10. tonyfloyd

Best Answers:
    thanks tamar....

i didnt realize i was doing something so bad.....i appreaciate your heads-up....this was the first and last time i will do anything like this again....wow...is re-writing in my own words and posting link on my site ok?...or is that a no-no also?

11. ZergMan

ZergMan Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey why is this thread closed :S I wanted the link to the download for these programs :(

ZergMan, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  12. tamar

tamar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ZergMan: the original content that tonyfloyd illegally scraped is here:
    http://searchengineland.com/070420-123020.php

They aren't downloadable programs. They are online tools.

This was from a PM I received from tonyfloyd. Can someone also educate him about what RSS subscriptions actually do?

tamar, Apr 24, 2007 IP