1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New SEM Presentation Online

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ephricon, Oct 26, 2004.

Hi all,

I was asked to speak to a class of MBA students to give them an overview of sorts with respect to search engine marketing and utilizing search engines as a marketing tool. Its a one hour or so time slot I'll have, and the class is a general marketing strategy class, so I'm hoping to provide a nice overview (and likely not get too detailed in any one aspect).

I created a PPT presentation of 20 or so slides that represents what search engine marketing is to me (perhaps with more of a focus on how search engines work and such since this is an introductory type of discussion).

Please give me your thoughts. Anything you think I've left out? Too simple? Too complex? I will be doing some verbal elaborating but the slideshow is a fairly representative model of what I'll be discussing.

Please feel free to comment on my blog at http://www.jonpayne.net or in this thread here, whichever you prefer.

http://www.jonpayne.net/publications/Search-Engine-Marketing-Overview.ppt
    (about 2.5 MB)

PS - posted this thread also in High Rankings forum... looking for input to help make a good introductory presentation... thanks!

ephricon, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    My beautiful IE6 browser crashed after seeing the first page.

Based on the first slide: Those three points tell me you aren't mentioning PPC. I believe PPC or just advertising is a BIG part of SEM.

T0PS3O, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  3. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    My PPC discussion will be mostly verbal. Initially I was thinking more about an SEO presentation (i.e. organic SERPs), although it probably would be a good idea to have a couple of slides at least comparing and contrasting PPC with SERPs. I hesitate to discuss PPC moreso since I'm not overly experienced there.

4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Then your subject should be changed IMO. SEM without treating PPC/Advertising as it deserves is just missing the point.

'SEM - a focus on SEO' or something would be more appropriate. Or 'SEO as a marketing tool'.

PPC has to be mentioned under the SEM umbrella. If you don't use AdWords etc. yourself, just get some stats on annual spending, how it makes G 95% of its turnover etc.

Short-term SEM is definitely PPC.
    Long-term SEM should be focused on SEO IMO.

T0PS3O, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  5. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    Good points. I do use AdWords and Overture for 3-4 websites, so I'm familiar with the basics. I'm not expert on split run testing or the advanced points of conversion analysis, but then again this is an intro presentation, so I'll modify the presentation to include some more information about PPC as a short-term solution and also a solution for saturated SERPs terms....

Update: I've added two slides - one providing a basic overview of what PPC is and the second comparing PPC with "organic" SEO