1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New rule ? Personally identifiable information (PII)

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by JamesColin, Feb 7, 2015.

Hi, in 12 years I have never received this Policy Breach Notice email :
    Dear Publisher,

It has come to our attention that you are passing personally identifiable information (PII) to Google through your use of one or more of Google's advertising products -- DFP, AdSense, and/or DoubleClick AdExchange.

Our systems have detected information, including email addresses and/or passwords, being passed from the ad requests attached to this email.
    SEMrush
    Our contracts and policies prohibit information being passed to us that we could recognize as PII. By sending us such information, you are in breach of those terms. We take this issue very seriously, and ask that you give it your immediate attention. We require that you fix the issue within 30 days. We ask that you take the following steps to correct the problem:
    Please fill out this form to update us on your progress. If you don't fill the form out within the next 14 days, we will place a payment hold on your monetization account (AdSense and AdX).
    Review the example ad requests attached to this email. Use this information to start your investigation.
    Refer to guidance in our help center for suggestions on how to fix common causes.
    Please be advised that all future communications regarding this issue will occur via email; no notifications will appear inside any ad serving products.

Regards,

The Google Publisher Policy Team

JamesColin, Feb 7, 2015 IP
    SEMrush
  2. DinoJRG

DinoJRG Member

Best Answers:
    I never heard of that one. I'm surprised they didn't ban you. It's just a warning to get your stuff together.

DinoJRG, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  4. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not only in the current page url they dont want PII, also in the http referrer's url... since they also collect the referrer.
    I fixed my pages by not displaying adsense (for me it was just emails in the url) :
    if (strpos($_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"], '@') || strpos($_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"], '@')) $isAdsense = FALSE;
    So many rules make life sad.

JamesColin, Feb 8, 2015 IP
  5. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you could always just POST the data so it isnt in the URL

pmf123, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  6. Atikur

Atikur Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's totally new to me.

Atikur, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  7. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, it is a solution suggested by google, but it is not always in our power, for instance when you collect emails with aweber and you want them to pass user data to your thank you page, they will do it only with GET not POST.

JamesColin, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  8. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    make you thank you page a redirect with the info re-POSTed

pmf123, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  9. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, that's a good alternative if you really want to display adsense on your thank you page.
    But since they're also talking about the http referral, I don't want to take any risk by having the GET version in the http referrer, and anyway I'm not too bothered by displaying adsense on my thank you page anyway. And if the subscriber then clicks on a link to another of my pages from that thank you page, adsense won't be displayed there either.
    Well that was my solution anyway, yours could work as well, I don't know how strict google would be with the http referrer since most of the time it is not in our control and it is a bit obscur anyway. :)

JamesColin, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  10. Femsup

Femsup Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Seriously curious. I just got this message and found my adsense account closed. Including that of a client's. What the frack does it mean??

How to fix it? What is it? Never heard of it... any help?

Femsup, Apr 29, 2015 IP