1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New portfolio website!

Discussion in 'Websites' started by KewL, Nov 16, 2015.

Hey guys, finally got a new portfolio website going! Looking for critiques on both the design and the code. Let me know if you see anything that should be improved on.

http://robertklein.co

KewL, Nov 16, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    The code is valid and clean enough for what you are doing. The design is something I would expect for a high school graphics design course. There is zero content above the fold. Web pages are not art; they are content delivery vehicles. A bunch of graphics without text support is not content it is just noise, and make the SEO of the page come up with a failing grade.

If you are going to present portfolios the use thumbnails with a description of what is at the link. The way you have that laid out it looks more like graffiti than serious professional presentation.

The design is probably salvageable, with balance of graphics and text, but as it stands it is not going to engage a high percentage of visitors and it is not going to do well with search engines. I think you are probably on the right track, but you need to get you head out of the graphics designer space and to the developer space where you have a foundation you can build on.

COBOLdinosaur, Nov 16, 2015 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Please proofread your copy. E.g. "quriky" emails? Or, "Im robert,"? Also, when you go to a page from your index page's thumbnails, don't have another set of thumbnails ("read more"), just show the article. That more stuff is for stuffing the page with links. If you don't have copy yet, well that's what "lorem ipsum" is for.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Nov 16, 2015 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I just dropped my son off at an exam reminding him to follow the "conventions of language"
    upload_2015-11-17_9-27-35.png
    I'm guessing you are fortunate enough to have English as your first language but your text doesn't show it.

sarahk, Nov 16, 2015 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  5. KewL

KewL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ohh boy, I'm embarrassed. I wrote that bio up quick as a "lorem ipsum", I keep forgetting to go back and write the real thing.

KewL, Nov 16, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's what we're here for. :p

kk5st, Nov 16, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  7. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, I like one-page sites, yours is a good example.
    I find it unique and user friendly, very clean and simple but not boring.
    However, there is something off with the header image, hmm..
    Anyway overall it is good!

Patricia Ann Lee, Nov 16, 2015 IP