1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New MSN is great for new websites

Discussion in 'Bing' started by hurricane_sh, Feb 6, 2005.

Checked a one-month old site, to my great surprise, MSN spidered more and brought more visitors than Google, it's gonnal be a strong competitor of Google.

hurricane_sh, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  2. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Same scenario at the moment, I think update frequency plays an important factor.. I got instant 3rd of 2 mil or so.. seems to be holding so far though..No ranking or visitors from G yet (but no BLs either)

Design Agent, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  3. da22in

da22in Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, MSN gives much love to newer sites....and sites that are updated with fresh content...and sites with proper html including declarations, charset, title, and at least a select group of <meta> tags...this is only my opinion of course.

da22in, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  4. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    MSN I believe will take search into a new age, I know some may bash me for saying this but I believe we will all benefit from this along with our consumers. Real estate has been an industry that IMHO google has tried to push more and more sites into adwords. With the lack of filters MSN will produce a lot of very relevant websites, where if google continues to place these restrictive filters on good sites with very relevant content, they will lose a lot of ground to MSN and fast.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  5. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Check out the relevant content on these Google SERPs for the term "Mobile Homes":

Hawaii Mobile Homes
    Washington Mobile Homes
    Oregon Mobile Homes
    California Mobile Homes
    Montana Mobile Homes
    Wyoming Mobile Homes
    Arizona Mobile Homes
    etc, etc, etc.

Apparenlty Google sees more "relevant content" on "uscity.net" and "fsboadvertisingservice.com" than I do.

ResaleBroker, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  6. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but I think this is all a little shortsighted.. MSN will do anything to gain market share, ..once they have a stranglehold they will then use the usual restrictive tatics to make the most money and weaken its competitors - the same objectives of any corp i guess.

I imagine 70-80% share to msn and life would have been much harder than it has been with Google so far. I read today (latimes.com) that msn is displays results for sites with products etc (comercially orientated) more prominently.

Design Agent, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  7. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    MSN isn't only good for newer sites, it's good for up to date sites in general. MSN gives me proper rankings (i.e. Top 10) for my keywords as I think since you can't find a better website for the content I offer and I also update my site nearly daily. Google.de ranks my German site #1 but Google.com doesn't even rank the English site in the Top 1000 while it is in the Top 10 of MSN, Yahoo and even #1 of Lycos.

In addition MSN has way fewer sponsored results in the search results when you look for stuff like hardware reviews, whereas Google and Yahoo give you tons of ebay and other sponsored links when looking for such reviews and similar things.

Chrissicom, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  8. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    How long does it take for the MSN bot to come round?

I have hundreds of links showing, but my site does not seem to have been deep spidered. It has been up and around since Jan 5th. Y has it, and (of course) G has sandboxed it, but I was expecting more of MSN from posts like these. Any ideas how long it is going to take?

stephenmunday, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure, but put your link in your sig, i find msn really likes this site.

Design Agent, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  10. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    One day I will have 10 posts and I will be allowed to have a signature :).

I know MSN seems to like sites like this, so I thought the fact that my site has been blogged quite a lot both in Japan and overseas and since it was also in Yahoo News Japan the other day, I would see a knock-on effect in MSN.

I love in hope. At least there is hope with MSN, unlike with G where I am in the quicksand box....

stephenmunday, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  11. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    One other thing ........ MSN only "loves" the home page and at the most, pages that are one level down (linked directly from the home page).

With Google you need different pages (usually) for targetting different keywords unless your PR is 8 :rolleyes: , but with MSN you can appear in the top 10 for a variety of keywords with just your home page. So, if you are "optimising" for MSN, I would recommend having lots of text on the home page with most or all of your target keywords, as MSN does pick these from the content.

The ones in the title tags, H1 tags etc. are givem more importance, of course.

dfsweb, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  12. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    A reason as to why MSN likes this site more than Google might also be that they speeder PHP (Dynamic Pages) a lot better than Google. Where Google stops on the entry page on my site MSN goes a long way further.

Chrissicom, Feb 9, 2005 IP