1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New-ish feature Idea for Keyword Tracking Tool

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by Such Great Heights, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have a "request" feature/plug-in for the Keyword Tracker Tool.

BTW: love the tool, very helpful, export also helps save time.

Is it possible to combine the Keyword Suggestion Tool with the Keyword Tracker Tool?

My idea, which I wouldn't doubt has been thought of before, is that there could be another column in the "Keywords/URLs I'm Tracking" Table showing the estimated popularity/often searched for that particular keyword in the row.

This way along with sorting by SERP Ranking, you can see how often that keyword is approximately searched, thus showing you a rough idea of how important that keyword is.

And mainly my idea is when exported to Excel for example we can show our clients that they may rank high for X amount of keywords, but only Y are actually going to bring a significant amount of traffic in.

It seems like you'd just need to combine the tools and when the user's keyword list is searched for rankings, you can also query wordtracker, or just overture for the number searched per month or per day, and add that to the table.

Has this been thought of and shot down before?
    Does anyone think this would be useful to them?

Thanks again for your SEO tools.

Such Great Heights, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A couple problems with it...

Doing it based on whenever you add a single keyword will replicate out hundreds of keywords very quickly (with 2 or 3 keywords added). Which will put people over their 1,000 query API limit.

Just listing keywords (but not checking ranking) would put a massive load on the system and slow everything down tremendously A list of 50 keywords would take 100 queries to Overture and Wordtracker every time it was displayed.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you it would be a great addition for analysis and explanatory purposes.

The problem I see is the same problem that exists with the keyword suggestion tool and that is Oveture doesn't give results for plural keywords. This is stupid to my way of thinking, but it does present a real problem when trying to do keyword research with their system.

At the same time overture's results may be better than Wordtracker's for commercial search terms. So exactly what would you suggest showing in the extra column in the tracking tool?

compar, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  4. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Well what if it only checked with Overture and not wordtracker. Plus it only checked once a month, when the actual Overture one is updated. Maybe it could have it's own check all button, so that people with 50+ keywords could only do this check once a month or so (ie. 35 days from the last time they did it).

I just want a rough estimate, of which words are searched more often, it doesn't need to be up-to-date, just my rankings do.

I want to be able to see the estimated importance of my high ranking keywords on one page, and not have to export, then check my 50 keywords individually on Overture's tool and cut and paste those results into my Excel spreadsheet.

I do see your point though and definitely don't want the tool to be degraded for an addition that might not be as helpful to all as to myself and whoever else thinks it would help.

---edit---
    I'd suggest just Overture's monthly results. it doesn't need to be precise and even a 1-10 pangrank type thingy might be good, but seems like more work.

5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry, would just make everything too slow...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The other option would be to be able to put your URL or domain into the keyword suggestion tool and be able to put certain keyword research results into the URL's basket so to speak. Then if this file could be imported into excel the user could incorporate it with his/her keyword tracking spreadsheet and we would have the both of best worlds.

I build a keyword suggestion spreadsheet but I have to cut and paste all the results one at a time from the keyword suggestion page. The end results are very useful, but it is more work than it should be.

compar, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  7. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    all right, your the boss.
    back to the usual.

thanks for entertaining the notion though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.