1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New forum bandwidth

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Emperor, Apr 4, 2006.

I am thinking of starting a forum in Portuguese using the Vanilla software. I was wondering what kind of hosting should I look for. What worries me is the traffic, I really don’t know if a forum uses up a lot of bandwidth and seeing that it will be new don’t know if it’s worth wile to spend that much money on expensive hosting.

Has anyone tried using vanilla yet? :confused:

Emperor, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Never heard of Vanilla, and with a new forum you probably aren't going to have to worry about bandwidth for a while. Start small, you can always upgrade.

exam, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  3. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    I read in some CMS site where we get vanilla script that its a good one but needs more bandwidth than phpbb forums.
    *Goes for searching that site*brb

amitpatel_3001, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  4. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    Start with a basic package that you can easily upgrade with the same host.Then as your forum grows and gets near the limits you can just contact them and upgrade.They only have to click a few buttons and it won't affect you .....apart from the increased cost.

I use ASmallOrange as one of my hosts and they have some great cheap packages.

http://www.asmallorange.com/services/hosting/

MKInfo, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  5. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Vanilla is a better option because of the way it organizes threads and the very WEB 2.0 look. PhpBB is too common and only makes it harder to captivate people to sing up because everyone is already so use to that look. I’ve been trying it out on my PC for the past days and find it very promising “no work needed”.

Emperor, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  6. FruitMedley Forum Posting

FruitMedley Forum Posting Banned

Best Answers:
    If you are really worried about bandwidth, and Vanilla does take more, you may want to consider finding a nice skin for a phpbb forum, or even creating one yourself or hiring someone to do so. It will give your forum a unique look and save you bandwidth, so that you can get a cheaper hosting plan!

7. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bandwidth is the last thing you should be worried about, trust me. Unless you offer downloads, an arcade, or a huge picture gallery, you won't use all of your bandwidth - forums themselves do not use much and bandwidth is very cheap these days.

Why Vanilla? I've never heard of it so I can't make any recommendations on it...but have you looked into SMF or MyBB yet? They are the best free routes to go, imo...and then there is IPB and vB for paid software. Vanilla might be great, I've just never heard of it :p

GTAce, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    here's a couple of related threads

Best Bulletin Board SEO
    New approach in forum design

Vanilla looks really interesting.

I'd ditto the don't worry about bandwidth comment. If you are getting significant traffic so that bandwidth is a problem then you should have a plan on how to monetise the forum, either through paid membership, ads or whatever.

Have you got a business plan for the new site?

sarahk, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  9. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I’m looking into vanilla because it’s free and it has a very nice look to it. I pretend on starting a Teen forum nothing like DP or SP. A place for teens to chat and stuff, all in Portuguese. I had previously taken a look at SMF and thought it to be basically the same has phpBB but MyBB is new to me.

Don’t have anything even resembling one!!! That’s why I wanted to find out about bandwidth first and costs before I got myself into $$$ expenses.

Here are some other free forum software that I’ve found in case anyone is interested.

BBpress from Wordpress
    MiniBB

Emperor, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    www.opensourcecms.com has a demo section on forums.

let us know when you get it going. even though I won't be able to read a word I'd be interested in seeing your forum.

sarahk, Apr 5, 2006 IP