1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New font styling for AdSense ads - Anyone noticed this?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by livingingermany, May 5, 2008.

I just took a look at my site and noticed that new fonts are in place for the adsense ads, it looks like 'Comic-Sans.'

I look at the style sheet for the adblock (right-click and View Source) and see "font-family:comic sans ms,arial,sans-serif;" in the Style definition for the header and text.

Strange really, as I try to use Arial, like Google do. Link ads are still in Arial but Adsense for content blocks are using comic sans fonts. I always found that Comic-Sans-MS looked so amateur as a web font.

Also, the up and down arrows are missing on this ad. A refresh of my page and I see the old style, it seems to be in testing at the moment.

Example below:

[​IMG]

Anyone else noticed?

livingingermany, May 5, 2008 IP
  2. pioneer1

pioneer1 Peon

Best Answers:
    First time I see this. I don't like the font

pioneer1, May 5, 2008 IP
  3. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    looks like some kind of a glitch!

Pixelrage, May 5, 2008 IP
  4. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I saw it last week, with small type fonts. I'm all for different font faces and types, however this should be something Webmasters have control over and not Google.

On most of my sites I try to blend the ads. What Google is doing will make it more difficult for me to do this.

snowbird, May 5, 2008 IP
  5. abdobasha2004

abdobasha2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not true
    did not see in any site

abdobasha2004, May 5, 2008 IP
  6. livingingermany

livingingermany Active Member

Best Answers:
    @abdobasha2004: Sorry but when you say "not true", I don't quite understand to what you are referring. The picture that I included as an example is a screenshot taken directly from my site. I am not a premium publisher and have not edited the picture in any way (other than cropped it a tad smaller than a full screen shot).

I believe that the big G are sample testing across various sites. I have also not seen it elsewhere, only at my site. But saying that, I am Google ad blind as a publisher, so I generally don't pay any attention to google ads on other sites.

livingingermany, May 5, 2008 IP
  7. kashifmahmood

kashifmahmood Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see any picture attached

Where is it ??

kashifmahmood, May 5, 2008 IP
  8. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    I see this fir the first time. It's pretty ugly don't you think? I like better the old one.

zexy, May 5, 2008 IP
  9. jambo182

jambo182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks extremely amateur. If they're planning to give publishers increased control, they should be looking at hover styles, rather than static styling. I'd love to be able to dictate a hover colour for my ads. Time will tell.

jambo182, May 5, 2008 IP
  10. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen this ad on my blog yesterday but it vanished after a refresh. God knows if they are testing this or just a glitch

godmode, May 5, 2008 IP
  11. NathanCH

NathanCH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These is most likely to do with your own internet browser. It seems the attached css wasn't applied and your internet browser settings took over. If your font is set at Comic San, that's why.

NathanCH, May 5, 2008 IP
  12. profire

profire Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    maybe your niche has to do with kids :)

profire, May 5, 2008 IP
  13. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Could be they are trying to get away from publishers trying to match the AdSense font style.

Just as they do with link colours when you try to match perfectly - they change it a few degrees.

Anyone else have this thought?

FanAddict, May 5, 2008 IP
  14. yongjj

yongjj Peon

Best Answers:
    i haven't seen this before. Send an email to google adsense to clarify it.

yongjj, May 5, 2008 IP
  15. killerkiwi

killerkiwi Peon

Best Answers:
    i noticed the same thing on a site a couple days ago... awful font imo...

killerkiwi, May 6, 2008 IP
  16. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Arial is best for anything

Comic sans looks very bad ! No one would click these ads!

Freewebspace, May 6, 2008 IP
  17. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe so yes...

silveraden, May 6, 2008 IP
  18. livingingermany

livingingermany Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, after analysing the source of that ad, it was completely different to the source of other ads, so I believe a glitch is out of the question for me, the structure and order of the definitions different too. I believe they are means-testing it for performance, one showing per thousand impressions perhaps, hence why I could not see it again later. Obviously I do not want to refresh my page a thousand times and bump down that CTR number just to see it again.

I am all for testing and since the second font listed in the family definition was arial, then users of non-Microsoft operating systems would see an arial font there instead of the amateur Comic-sans.

One thing is true however, I do use arial thoughout my site, partly because I like the simplicity of the type-setting but mostly as it blends well with the google ads. If Google have a mechanism to detect which fonts I use on my site from my stylesheet and purposely choose a completely different one in order to stamp-out good blending, then my CTR will decrease dramatically.

That said, I have to look back at my initial reaction. The ad jumped out at me, they don't normally have that effect on me, but this ad stood out and made me inquisitive. Perhaps this is the intention. It was a few hours after spotting it the first time that I managed to see it again and take the screenshot that I included in the first post.

Shame that they chose to test with Comic-Sans, this has to be the most amateur web-font around, surely Helvetica (as used in many Web-2.0-styled sites) or Verdana would be better to try out.

Anyway, one can debate this for a long time but I personally belevie they are simply means-testing a variety of fonts to randomise the look of their ads, fair enough, they can do that, but should we not have been informed first?

ALSO REPORTED HERE: http://www.webmasterworld.com/google_adsense/3639653.htm

livingingermany, May 6, 2008 IP
  19. diehardtechie

diehardtechie Peon

Best Answers:
    I havn't noticed anything like this. But i believe it will be true. Bcos in the last few days google is tweaking Adsense in many ways. So it may be one of them :)

diehardtechie, May 6, 2008 IP
  20. Jalpari

Jalpari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1st time i am seeing adsense ads in COMIC font i think tahoma, arial and verdana mostly use for adsense ads and they give a professioanl look.

@kashifmahmood its ur browser or connection error. we can easily view attach file

Jalpari, May 6, 2008 IP