1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New England Weather

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Nov 11, 2019.

Well, the weather craziness has started early this year. Yesterday morning, my outdoor thermometer read 25F/-4C when I got up in the morning. Right now (a little over one day later) my outdoor thermometer is reading 62F/17C. We went from wearing winter coats yesterday, to flinging the windows open today for fresh, warm air. Climate change at its finest.

I don't know why anyone lives here... :)

jrbiz, Nov 11, 2019 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That was last weeks weather here in Keene... the past couple days have been odd with afternoon highs of around 45F and overnight lows of 40F. Very little disparity between night and day.

Which is why I've been roasting alive with the windows open as I'm miserable if it gets above 65F and my downstairs neighbor has their heat blaring full blast. They must have it up to 90 down there.

deathshadow, Nov 11, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, I saw a guy at a store today in a tee shirt and shorts. Yesterday, I was in a heavy coat with gloves.

I am pleased to note that we have turned off and covered the central air conditioning units, so no one can turn them on. Otherwise, the kids would be flipping between running the furnace for a couple of hours, then the AC, etc.

That said, you get it much worse than we do. Not even close.

jrbiz, Nov 11, 2019 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You guys think that you have it bad? Today were I am we had swarms of locusts followed by meteor showers!....*not really

Spoiltdiva, Nov 11, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but the reality is that you get some pretty nasty weather up there, too. :)

jrbiz, Nov 11, 2019 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    All joking aside it is -4 C. as I write.(24 F.) Being up in the mountains we also get avalanches on a regular basis.

jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, avalanches?!?! Have to admit that I have never had to deal with anything like that. My only "avalanches" are when I am trying to cut into a 4-foot snow pile with my snowblower. I guess that there are some benefits to being in "Southern" New England.

jrbiz, Nov 11, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    ^^^:rolleyes:

jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You realize, of course, that I am very, very happy that my "avalanche" story is so lame. :)

jrbiz, Nov 11, 2019 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There I was feeling like I had to stop whining in the face of posters on this thread from New Hampshire and Canada, both of whom suffer more severe winters than I do, when to my complete chagrin, the weatherman on TV says that we are forecast for snow tomorrow! So, 62F/17C today and cold enough for snow (must be 32F/0C or lower) tomorrow? Let me repeat: I do not know why anyone lives here. :)

jrbiz, Nov 11, 2019 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    The main vehicle that I drive has an electric sun roof. The damn thing quit (drive motor) in the up position! I have this other vehicle and I am forced to drive it in the snow until my big SUV gets the sun roof looked at. The other vehicle is a little sports car that really shouldn't be driven in the snow.
    It will be white knuckle driving for a few days.:eek: Ah, the perils of winter weather up in the northern hemisphere.:(

jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Love sun roofs or moon roofs, but they can have issues. I feel your pain about driving in a less than snow-worthy car. I drive a Lincoln Town Car which is an old-fashioned, rear wheel drive sedan with a big, heavy engine in the front. Basically, it begins sliding off the road when they forecast snow. :D

jrbiz, Nov 11, 2019 IP
  13. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    We had light flurries last week during our cold snap. The cold is supposed to return overnight getting down to 32F.

That's only 30F swing, pretty mild by my standards. 40F+ temperature swings are the norm here in NH, which is why it was very odd that the past few days we only saw about five degrees between day and night.

June is often the most brutal of them here, where 50F+ temperature differences are quite normal. We'll have 80F days with 30F nights, with 60F days that often drop into the single digits overnight.

Not as bad as January and February though, where daytime rarely pokes above 30F and nighttime norms are single digit NEGATIVE. Worst I saw was two years ago we got to -23F. That's -30C for our friends in the bizzaro-world of metric where there isn't 180 degrees between freezing and boiling.

Most of the time the weather here reminds me of when I was living in Fairbanks Alaska, but there have been more than a few winters that were actually nastier than when I was stationed at Deadhorse back when the airport was Dudley Field and not civvie.

deathshadow, Nov 11, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow your description of NH weather reminded me of my wife and I house searching about 20 years ago. We wanted to leave Massachusetts for a variety of reasons and were seriously looking at the greater Nashua, NH area. Ultimately, for a variety of reasons, we decided to move south, instead, to Rhode Island. Note that we had been living in the greater Worcester area and Worcester gets the worst weather in Massachusetts (due to its altitude, I am told.) If Boston got six inches of snow, Worcester would get 1 - 1.5 feet, etc. Anyway, we moved to RI and our first winter was in 1998. It did not snow that year in our new town. I was amazed and psyched that migrating 45 minutes south could have such a profound effect on the weather we experienced! Those beliefs, however, were dashed the following year when we got buried by multiple Nor'Easters. :)

Nothing like NH or AK, of course. For that, I am grateful. ;)

jrbiz, Nov 12, 2019 IP
  15. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Started turning cold here in Indianapolis a few days ago. It started snowing yesterday afternoon and I had to take a friend to the ER. By the time we left there around 8:30 PM there was a couple inches on the truck. Wind was blowing and I like to froze clearing it enough to drive. The temp then was 32F.

This morning we have a record low for here at 9F with a wind chill of 7F. It's supposed to be near 50 this weekend.

JoeSpirit, Nov 12, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  16. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Has that Arctic blast from Siberia reached you yet?

qwikad.com, Nov 12, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, there is some snow coming later today and then an "Arctic chill" is supposed to descend on us. Whether it is from Siberia or not was not said. Cold is cold, though.

jrbiz, Nov 12, 2019 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yuck, the Arctic blast that @qwikad.com mentioned above is here. Thermometer is reading 16F/-9C. It is cold like this that reminds me of what my Dad used to say when the cold descended: "Time to put on our winter shoelaces." :)

jrbiz, Nov 13, 2019 IP
  19. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    ... and somehow magically passing south of us here in New Hampshire where we're going to have warmer temps than the rest of New England... a very odd and rare occurrence.

It's almost like the weather patterns are all screwed up or something... as if extremes of warmth in the summer and extended hot periods stretching from May to October, where "spring" and "fall" weather now barely stretch a week, is resulting in colder and colder temperatures in the winter. Kind of like how the ocean goes in and out, so if it goes way, way, WAY out...

But yeah, that's just a dirty liberal myth that Jesus will save us from. Of course it is.

deathshadow, Nov 13, 2019 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    The weather here is not only cold in the winter but we have tons of snow covering everything as well. Out here it is impossible not to run into bighorn sheep, deer, elk, while driving on a daily basis. On occasion I'll spot moose, wolves and the odd cougar.
    I sometimes wonder how these creatures manage to stay alive? Where do they get their food from? I understand the predators getting meat from hares etc. But what about the ungulates?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Nov 13, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.