1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Domain vs Aged Domain

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by bouser, Jul 5, 2013.

I'm starting a new blog very soon and don't have a domain name ready, which means I either have to create a new .com domain or look an existing domain on GoDaddy Auctions, Aftermarket or Sedo etc.
    My question is... does an aged domain really matter so much that when it comes to search engine ranking its worth buying an existing domain (often with little choice on a budget) over creating a brand new domain (with a lot more flexibility when it comes to choosing the name)? Look forward to hearing your opinions! :)

bouser, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  2. iodalg

iodalg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting question, let me share my experience.
    If you search around you will see many say that G reset expired domains. So no benefit buying that expired domain. We are talking about domains that have expired and you can register with your preferred register. Godaddy auctions and all aftermarkets are different, because the domain has not really expired yet, so you get the age of the domain as a benefit. They may also have backlinks pointing to them, that's another benefit if they are quality backlinks and I repeat and the backlinks are relevant with your niche!

I have played with expired domains a lot, both dropped and from auctions to rank sites. Benefits? It really depends on the niche you are entering, some sites did really good with expired domains. Here is what I did notice is important, age and backlinks that really are relevant with the niche I'm going for. When I registered a domain with a strong backlink profile that where relevant to my niche I did really well even with competive keywords.

What I suggest you do. If you are going for a niche site, then look at the opportunity with the expired domains, if you find a relevant domain that has some age and relevant backlinks, go for it! Use opensiteexplorer.org to see the DA/PA and backlinks pointing to the domain you are interested in. Higher DA/PA is better!
    If you on the other hand will build a company/brand around your domain then go for a brand new domain instead.

That's my to 2 cents. Good luck!

iodalg, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  3. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    Expired/aged domain can also be helpful in ranking in SERP, but you have to check that the domain is penalized or not, if the domain name is penalized then you won't get any benefit and a new domain would perform good instead of a penalized domain name.

SERPpoint, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    The potential problem with getting aged domains is that if the domain has a shady link profile it could be penalized which would be detrimental to your efforts with the website moving forward.

dcristo, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  5. unna

unna Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like to go with the new domain. Fresh and juicy.

unna, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  6. blufoxx

blufoxx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In the age of penguin it is always better to go for new one.

blufoxx, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  7. bouser

bouser Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, I guess if I find a new domain I like I'll just go with it. At the end of the day if you spend enough time and effort creating good enough content and gaining valuable back links you'll do well eventually - it's going to take time either way.

bouser, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  8. adgaro

adgaro Peon

Best Answers:
    An old domain may have a lot of "bad history". I prefer new domains.

adgaro, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  9. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both are good...

1) A new website is good because you can start a new website and anything related to an old site won't be harmful for your new one.

2) An aged domain is sometimes better because sometimes it already has a good ranking and it could be helpful for your new website, but it could be dangerous if it already has any bad backlinks... Just investigate before purchasing an aged domain! ;)

patco, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  10. WebCare||360

WebCare||360 Member

Best Answers:
    If I start a new domain it normally takes me anywhere up to 3 months to really start ranking first page on all 3 Search Engines, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. That’s 3 months of link building, writing articles, link bait & working. That’s a lot of time.
    If you’re just starting out should you really be waiting around for your site to come through Google’s filters? OR would your time be better spent hunting down some domains that could rank for you in as little as 2 weeks?
    Google treats newer sites with more filters than older ones. Filters are what stops you from ranking. The more trust your website gains the less it becomes filtered & the easier you’ll find it to rank.
    When I say easier I am talking about simply posting a new product on an old site, it may come up on the first page for a long tail keyword the very next day, versus waiting months for it to come up on a new site.
    There are 2 basic ways to beat these filters & rank your sites quicker.
    • Build natural strong links from relevant sites (not too quickly) OR
    • Buy an aged domain with authority already

WebCare||360, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  11. sommetsolutions

sommetsolutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi All

I need your help! Can anyone provide me free High PR (9-1) Social bookmarking, Instant Directory(9-1 PR) and Press Release sites. My email id is sommetseo @ gmail . com

Thanks in Advance!

sommetsolutions, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  12. My Property Stores

My Property Stores Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, Both are good. Still i would like to go for new domain.

My Property Stores, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  13. racheljohn

racheljohn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Please crate new domain.....

racheljohn, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  14. proson

proson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Aged domain does play some role in Google's ranking. Google does not like spam sites, aged domain can proof you are serious about your site and hence Google will look more after it.

But aged domain is just only a part. You also need to create relevant content to attracts readers eventually .

proson, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  15. nam207

nam207 Member

Best Answers:
    I have a domain that has 4 chars that I bought 10 years ago, but I've just started a site with it 4 months back. Looking at Google analytic, the site already get a lot of referral from Google (organic search), so I would say that the age of the domain is one of many factors that contribute to your site SEO significantly.

nam207, Jul 8, 2013 IP