1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New directory sites have HIGH PR

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bludevil, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    JamieG: People want to judge sites, links etc. etc. based on a scale of 1-10. PR is the only such scale :) Alexa ranking, number of back links, number of pages indexed etc. etc. are also quantifiable but they are definitely not as quotable. :) It may be inaccurate but it is still a base to start with :)

jitendraag, May 23, 2008 IP
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    No they don't, the only ones who judge a site on PR and backlinks are other editors. You wont' get one reputable e-tailer or seo firm that would say otherwise. PR is bullshit based on the intrinsic weakness that it relies on backlink strategies. What business with any level of common sense would want to backlink to a competitor. The only industry that does this to the levels of madness is the directory industry.

PR is NO indicator, neither is Alexa and I'll argue that all day.

JamieG, May 23, 2008 IP
  3. rekjl

rekjl Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha, some poeple have their own opinions, and I have no right to say you are wrong or right JamieG. You have your beliefs and I respect that.

But won't your pr come into a little bit of play when it also comes to search engines rankings? SEOs are now getting very common, that almost all websites have them. Links and thus PR would be the one to differentiate them in the search engines. I am not sure of this, but it just might be a consideration.

rekjl, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  4. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    PR counts for absolutely nothing to the real e-tailer, the only one's who seem to think its worth anything are directory owners or people thinking a higher PR means a better service which we all know it doesn't. That's not just an opinion, its a hard fact based on a lot of experience.

JamieG, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  5. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    It's just sad that people chase PR at all - like it means something. When I'm interested in a site whether it's for partnerships, links or just traffic, I always look at it's pagerank last of all, and I mean last. The number of links pointing to it is a major factor, but also the right type of links as I don't want tons of bad traffic hitting my site.

But PR! They can keep their worthless, fake, egotistical PR and shove it where the sun don't shine. My visitors dont care about what amount of Green I have, it's not why they use us, and everybody should be thinking this way.

It's stupid to rely on PR as some Golden ticket to riches, and people know what directories are doing, it's so obvious and they'll get caught be big G :D

I removed over 100 directories from my links page, and they were mostly forum members too. Infact it feels great knowing their links won't hurt my rankings, but even better that they'll miss out on all that lovely traffic my site sends every month. Hopefully, they will lose the PR I was sending them, why o why did I ever link to them, I must have been nuts, as I'm sure I got so little from them in return for my generousity :)

Event_King, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  6. munkyb

munkyb Peon

Best Answers:
    although all of this true is it still worth while trying to pick one of these sorta fake PR directories for dirt cheap and trying to make it work?
    I mean they usually do have a fair few links out there already and if say u got one for $50 or something & turned it into a blog about where to add your site or something similar, would you maybe be able to turn it into a profit...eventually?

munkyb, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  7. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    No this won't work. If I buy some domain just for PR, then when adding the new domain to a completely different site, the traffic from the odd looking domain will arrive only to realise what they just clicked on isn't what the domain said it was.

Also, and links associated with the bought domain, - anyone linking to that will see the new site, assume their links have been removed and start removing those links attached to the domain you just bought. Making it a waste of money and eventually a pointless buy. It's too easy to catch figure this out, and when they know that, you'll lose any effectiveness.

Some people are so dumb to think this will actually work.

Just adding the domain to a blog won't change anything - the url will still lead a visitor to the new website and new domain that goes along with the site.

Event_King, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  8. bludevil

bludevil Peon

Best Answers:
    so that brings up the question of ONE-WAY linking again... (any prof that it does not do anything, i think it does) if you place a bunch of links on your own site that have a high PR... does that spawn yours to get a higher PR? although you never put your link on those sites.

bludevil, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  9. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it does semi work. It is a very easy trick to see through though. Would just have to be someone really stupid to fall for it. Many more complicated ways of masking that are not so obvious.

floppydrivez, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  10. pablopabla

pablopabla Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, it makes no freaking sense that a new directory should have any form of high PR upon being launched. :eek:

pablopabla, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  11. deew

deew Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, buyer beware! Check the domain name history of the domain you are thinking to purchase, number and type of backlinks it has. Do your homework. Otherwise, you need some muscle and sweat to get your website, blog or general directory ranking in Google. Having your resources in place, like time or funds, then it takes no magic at all to achieve rank.

deew, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  12. mars9168

mars9168 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. Actually PR is not important right now!

mars9168, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  13. chotamunda10

chotamunda10 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use directory List:-
    directorycritic.com

chotamunda10, Apr 11, 2011 IP
  14. seotiger

seotiger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    totally true. google is only getting smarter. the only way to get long term results is the good ol' methods. :)

seotiger, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  15. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    so you'd rather have a PR0 site than a PR 9 site?

Yeah, right.

contentboss, Apr 23, 2011 IP
  16. alsgroup

alsgroup Member

Best Answers:
    I need Web Directory list..Please Share Directory Submission list here....

alsgroup, Apr 23, 2011 IP
  17. jcyber

jcyber Active Member

Best Answers:
    i agree in a single word...............Thanks :)

jcyber, Jul 1, 2011 IP
  18. superyacht

superyacht Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes you are right.

superyacht, Jul 14, 2011 IP
  19. Wilsonie

Wilsonie Peon

Best Answers:
    You can find directories been created long long age with high PR. For Example - AOL Directory (google search) is PR4 since 2009. AskMatrix Directory is PR5 since 2010.

Wilsonie, Jul 15, 2011 IP
  20. Shillpa

Shillpa Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree with You.... It really works.!

Shillpa, Jul 23, 2011 IP