1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Directory off to a flying start.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by compar, May 6, 2004.

1. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Theming would be nice – I agree. I know it’s easier said than done. I think G will implement it at some point though…it makes sense.

My opinion is that for the most part, Google’s serps are very relevant. When you’re dealing with millions (billions?) of potential search phrases and key words you’re bound to have a few (Atlanta Realtor for example) that are not quite so relevant. It’s statistical to me – a certain % will always be off. If G can keep that % low the majority of internet users will never know.

I think if they start jumping every time they notice a little anomaly that’s when the serps would start getting wacky.

GuyFromChicago, May 8, 2004 IP
  2. mrdch

mrdch Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Well, I guess that depends how hard you look. ;) It took me no more than 12 minutes (I checked!) to compile the following list of sites and the backlinks they have from Gimpsy. I cannot guarantee that the list will be valid, say, a month from now, as Google changes all the time, but I expect the majority of back links to continue to show up.

Also note that due to the structure of Gimpsy, a site may get more than one link, which can be seen in some of the sites listed below. BTW, the Gimpsy backlink is not always in the first 10, but if you set Google to show you 100 sites at a time, you will always find it straight away. Here goes:

lifetimetv.com
    paragraphpunch.com
    hawaiiindependent.com
    visionsimulations.com
    citv.com
    housesite.com
    onecer.net
    animalhome.com
    adoptadolphin.com
    poochheaven.com
    obitnow.com

Having shown all that, we believe that Gimpsy provides much more than just a backlink. It provides highly targeted traffic too. However, if you are just interested in PR promotion - that should convince you of the value Gimpsy provides.

Cheers!

MC

mrdch, May 23, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with that. It pisses me right off, but my Gimpsy links for some pages shows up on Yahoo while the page itself is nowhere in site.

Frankly I've never noticed this in Google, but that is probably because Google tends to rank my sites higher than Yahoo.

Suffice it to say that I think submission to Gimpsy is well worth while.

Damn, I should be an affiliate.

compar, May 23, 2004 IP
  4. mrdch

mrdch Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the thumbs up!

I am quite positive that, like your site, there are thousands more. Even with a PR of 6 on the Home Page we can show outstanding results, and we believe that PR 7 is just around the corner (check Gimpsy's backlinks - all 'organic').

MC

mrdch, May 23, 2004 IP
  5. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Well argued - I do take back my thow away comment about "Gimpsy".

I wish you well. :)

Foxy, May 23, 2004 IP
  6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    About.com sucks. Now that they have the same layout as everyone else, the site just sucks eggs. It's just another msn portal lookalike.

mopacfan, May 24, 2004 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hey Hulk - thought the blue meant either IBM or blue as in movies. So pleased to find it was neither.

Bit of a shame there's no free submission. As a consumer I won't use a tool which only has paid ads, so as a site owner, why would I submit to one.

I've submitted to skaffe, searchmonster and joeant for free by putting in a bit of time as an editor, and generally improving the directory.

Sarah

sarahk, May 24, 2004 IP
  8. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Hulk is family man with two little Hulk's
    So yea, Hulk doesn't frequent in "blue movies"
    Puny Human John Scott has interesting concept going.
    Hulk be curious to see if it will break away from the pack of directories.

Hulk agree too bad not free submission.
    Hulk like to submit his www.komar.org personal page.
    But Puny Human John Scott has other ideas for www.bluefind.com
    So Hulk understand why paid submission.
    JS is pretty smart Puny Human.
    Hulk say keep an eye on what he is up to.

hulkster, May 24, 2004 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hulk

Don't know how much these things cost up in the land of the free but down here it'd cost about a thousand bucks to do this: http://www.komar.org/xmas/

Looks great though, just a culture shock for me.

s

sarahk, May 24, 2004 IP
  10. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, you aren't far off on the cost of the lights themselves, even though I was buying 'em after the Holidays when they go on deep discounts. There are some other costs, but those are mostly one-time.

The re-occurring costs of electricity is not as much as you would think, although I do like to tell people how the electric meter spins like a madman. The lights are on for a month and only during the evening hours. Electricity here is about 8 cents/KiloWatt-Hour, and according to my Christmas Lights FAQ I used about 2 MegaWatts of power in 2002 when I has 20,000+ lights ... so total cost was $160 - that's a big surprise to most folks.

I live in a neighborhood with a lotta families and the kids LOVE it, so it's worth it to me ... although then everyone asks me what I'm going to do next year to top it! ;-)

BTW, in case you didn't see it, my avatar came from my Halloween Decorations and Lights - the Big Green Guy was quite the hit for the little trick-or-treaters!

Yea, I don't imagine you have much snow on December 25th way down South in your neck of the woods, but I'd love to see some links from New Zealand to my page! ;-)

OK - enough off-topic stuff - back to SEO discussions!
    alek

11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    HEY - looks like you got dinosaurs down there near your volcanoes - that story is a crackup ...

alek