1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Directory off to a flying start.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by compar, May 6, 2004.

John Scott, of Internet Marketing Research, has started a new directory called Blue Find. It has only started to take submission in the last couple of weeks, but John has gotten his home page up to PR8 already.

Have a look, it might be a good place to list some of your sites.
    SEMrush

compar, May 6, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Why do we need another directory?

What does Zeal do? [or Gimpsy for that matter - same price 40 bucks]

You never see them as links - Never

Almost as bad as DMOZ - and to be honest the only reason people do DMOZ is because of Googles interest - no google - no dmoz

Foxy, May 6, 2004 IP
  3. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Do these directories use javascript or something that prevents the link from "counting", or are the links just on low PR pages?

GuyFromChicago, May 6, 2004 IP
  4. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, already 17,400 inbound Google links and 519,000 on Yahoo...impressive! Needs some more categories though but I'll definately keep it in mind in the not too distant future future.

SENewbie, May 6, 2004 IP
  5. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the kind comments, guys. :)

As to the question of whether we need a new directory, please see:
    http://www.bluefind.com/about.php

Our concept of a web directory is a bit different in that we welcome indiviual webpages, as opposed to just listing the index pages of sites.

Cheers

JohnScott, May 6, 2004 IP
  6. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Link that was accepted [wow what a deal!!!] was a PR5

Foxy, May 6, 2004 IP
  7. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    One brief comment: the size of the fee should not be a secret.

It is not on the front page, which is OK. But clicking on "Submit URL" brings a page that mentions the fee, but does not there state what it is. Nor is there even any immediately obvious way to proceed with a submission.

As it points out somewhere well into the forums there:

"I had to read the instructions found at: &c. through twice before it came to me to make a submission, you need to: (i) select the appropriate category; (ii) go to the category and use the add url button there to make your submission."

That is not what I would call a blindingly self-evident procedure.

I also did not see an answer to a posted forum question about fees, or their lack, for non-profits. I am just doing a site for a nonprofit local volunteer group (IRS-certified nonprofit corp), and will shortly be trying to get them listed here and there. Would they have to pay to get on BlueFind?

Owlcroft, May 6, 2004 IP
  8. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, I was suprised to see the $40 fee to add my site after the second or third page. But Joeant is the same way.

If you do have a site though, now would be the time to add it. I submitted another site I was working on and it was added within a few hours on a PR6 page (it hasn't shown up as PR6 yet, but its 2 levels down from the homepage PR8)...not bad.

The only thing was that I hadn't received any notification that it had been added, I checked it myself.

SENewbie, May 7, 2004 IP
  9. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    A high PR(8), not too crowded yet, and a nice design. Worth $40 in my book.

I just submitted my new sports forum site. Should show as the second listing one page off the index when it's listed. There's only one other site listed there at this time.

Thanks for the link compar - it was a good find.

GuyFromChicago, May 7, 2004 IP
  10. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Since JS welcomed me in his forums, the Hulkster will welcome him to these forums. For those that don't know, John has yet-another-SEO-forum at http://www.internet-marketing-research.net/ that looks pretty decent - another place to spend your hours! ;-)

His www.bluefind.com stuff is pretty interesting and IS approaching from a different angle - will be interesting to keep an eye on it.

Hulk just think greenfind woulda been better than bluefind!

alek

hulkster, May 7, 2004 IP
  11. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking we will have to change up a few things. The "Add URL" page on the home page is a bit confusing.

Before we put that up, people would most likely first go to the category that most suits them, say "Popular Search Words" and from there click on "Add URL" and they would see the submission fee right off.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

The first month up, we were at PR8, and we've added a couple hundred thousand PR8 and PR7 backlinks since, so I'm semi-hopeful that we get a PR9, or at least a lot more PR8 pages within the directory.

We are not in the business of PageRank, but it does open doors that would not otherwise be open. Ultimately, it has no bearing on how good a directory BlueFind becomes. That all depends on how productive/competent our editors are.

Cheers.

JohnScott, May 7, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's a great directory in my opinion. $40 for a permanent link no a PR8 site is not a bad investment I don't think.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 7, 2004 IP
  13. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Ok, 3 hours or so later I'm listed. Very quick I must say.

Johm, Foxyweb mentioned in another post that most links in directories never show as backlinks. While there is value in being included in a directory (especially if it's high traffic/popular) a lot of the value in today's market is the link itself. Does your directory do anything that would prevent links being shown as backlinks? This will be a question/concern that lot of people will have…at least in my opinion.

Oh, and one other thing - I noticed my listing appeared above the listing that was already there. Will your directory be "top down", ie the newest inclusion gets top billing? Seems to me like it should be the other way around (new entries to the bottom of the list) or maybe just sorted alphabetically.

14. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Directories count as back links... look at DMOZ for example.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 7, 2004 IP
  15. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:

It's been my experience that they usually do - I was really commenting on Foxy's comment about the fact that they dont. Figured if anyone was "sitting on the fence" for this reason, John could confirm there's no issue with backlinks from his forum and put that issue to bed.

16. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whether or not the listing shows as a backlink on Google depends on a couple things. For example, does the page have PR? We are working hard to not just get good PR distributed to the home page, but also to the interior pages of the larger categories.

As for my forum, it does show in backliks of some posters, but I do see movement on Google's part to either hide those links from forums or to discount them entirely. Forum spamming is this year's version of guestbook spamming, and Google did a very good job or discounting guestbook links.

And, don't forget, web directories can drive good traffic. About.com drives a lot of traffic in certain categories, and our goal is to become more used than About.com

Cheers.

JohnScott, May 7, 2004 IP
  17. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with this statement. As I've said earlier, if I worked at Google and saw SEO Forums ranking #1 for "Atlanta Realtor" and #3 for "webers BBQs", I'd say we really need to tweek our algorithms since I question the relevancy of both of those results.

alek

hulkster, May 7, 2004 IP
  18. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I think if I worked at Google I would be looking at all the ads on the right side of the page that say "Atlanta Realtor" :)

The big difference between the address book spam and forums is that forums, for the most, provide some valuable and informative content.

19. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    I think that by virtue of the forum community/feedback (reads: return visitors) they also tend to be more closely moderated.

john_loch, May 8, 2004 IP
  20. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    While google makes money "directly" from those ads on the right side, I think their reputation is influenced by the relevancy of the unsponsored ads.

I completely agree that forums CAN be a very useful source of information, but some sort of "theming" should be applied (very easy to say, very hard to do). Again, I'd suggest that if you click on the top-two entries in Google for Atlanta Realtor there is very little relevant information on those pages themselves. The seochat one has a link TO a useful page, and the digitalpoint one appears to be a random profile (?)

I.e. if I was trying to grab a top-10 spot for a non-SEO related keyword phrase in Google, do you think they would agree a way to do that is by creating a screen name in an SEO forum?!? ;-)

alek

hulkster, May 8, 2004 IP