1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Computer Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Silver89, Feb 16, 2007.

I've been a computer modder for a few years now however i seem to have lost track of the current market competitors and what hardware is at the top.

I'm looking to replace my current motherboard, processor and ram hopefully not graphics card but this is agp.

Waht are the current top motherboards? like processor sockets, ram etc?

What are the current best perfomring processors and is duel better?

Thanks guys

Silver89, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dan,

I just went throught this learning curve myself. I tend to buy on the lower end of the current curve. This time I went a little above that.

Do you think Word will run faster? :)

Most likely you aren't going to be able to reuse anything if your system is more than a few years old. AGp is out.

Dual-core P4 or better, DDR2, Sata2 and PCI-express video is the norm now. A few boards still support AGP but not the better boards.

What I wound up buying, currently burning in in the other room, was an Asus MB with SATA2, 2gigs of ram, a SATA2 hard drive and paired with a Pentium 4 930 (3.0ghz). This board and combo supports 800ghz front side bus.

For me stepping up from a 6 year old system this will be a major upgrade. It is still on the lower end of the current curve.

Like you I planned to reuse some parts, my hard drive, until I realized that SATA2 has almost 3 time the through-put of an EIDE/133.

Colbyt, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  3. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    I got a 4200 Xp AMD, and 2 gigs of ram.. and my PC is really flying...
    It's feels like you have fresh workstation when you change your PC...

So get an AMD with high rams.. should do the job.

KingofKings, Feb 17, 2007 IP
  4. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Inter Motherboard with Dual core processor works best.

getjimmy, Feb 17, 2007 IP
  5. ARonald

ARonald Peon

Best Answers:
    Currently it would be a wise idea to for intel dual core processors. Their current lineup is the c2d series (core2duo).It would be a better idea to replace the gpu too cause agp cards as well as agp motherboards are now being phased out. In case you are short on funds and cant buy a new gpu u may have to utilize a motherboard with onboard gpu.

May i suggest a configuration :

Intel core2duo E6300 1.86ghz dual core
    Intel DG6Ry motherboard (onboard GPU included and has a pci express slot)
    1GB ddr2 ram ( can go for ddr2-667 or ddr2-800 ram)
    In case you are getting a new gpu the ati 1950pro or nvidia 7900gt are good midrange cards.Ati 1300pro and nvidia 7300GT are entry level cards.

Regards,
    ARonald

ARonald, Feb 17, 2007 IP