1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New blogger - can't decide on topic

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by seerex, Feb 9, 2017.

Hello all,

I am about to embark on my very own blog adventure. However, I have a hard time deciding on the topic of my blog. In an ideal world, I would like to include both topics on one single blog, but I think they are just to far from each other to be relevant enough on the same site.

So, these are the two subjects I can't decide between:
    1. A blog about baking (recipes, the history of baking, techniques, reviews of bakeries and so on)

2. A blog about war-gaming (Warhammer, tabletop miniature war game / hobby - painting guides, reviews, "battle reports")

So, how do I decide which way to go? I have extensive knowledge in both fields. I've been a baker for around 6 years, and have collected / played with / painted Warhammer for just as long. Being a baker is my day-to-day job, Warhammer my hobby.

I kinda have an idea that says - "Well, why not just do both?" - but I fear that is not realistic to do, and I am afraid I will fail to maintain them both.

I also thought about doing both for a while (say a 1-3 month period) and then see which I enjoyed the most, and which gathered enough traffic, and then go with that one.

Kinda feel I should outline the goals with my blogging adventure:
    1. First and foremost - have fun, talk about my passions.
    2. Building something from the ground up.
    3. Money - this is a big *IF* it takes off, but it is nice to know it is a possibility. I never expect to make a living of it, but could it potentially give enough so I can take 1 day a week off from work I would be happy.

Do you have any suggestions, given your experience in the blogging universe and seeing at my topics and hearing my reasonings behind them? Thanks a lot for your time.

seerex, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  2. MoneyTopList.com

MoneyTopList.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    From my experience, after some time it starts be a little boring to do the same thing. I alway work on different projects, and combine the work with which I earn money with the non-profit work. This way, when I work too much on one of my projects, I can always switch to another one (and later back to the first one, etc.) so I am always enjoying my work at 100%.

I would say that having two blogs might be good solution for you not only for this reason. Having two niches you have better chances to find topics which will result in a good revenue.

MoneyTopList.com, Feb 10, 2017 IP
  3. Chris-

Chris- Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, do both, then if you find yourself only wanting to work with one of them (once you're starting to make some money from it), you can SELL the other one, so it's a win/win !

Chris

Chris-, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  4. rf-harris

rf-harris Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me the most important thing in order to select a topic when starting a blog is to make sure that you choose a topic in which you have great interest.

rf-harris, Mar 17, 2017 IP
  5. Mubashir Ahmad

Mubashir Ahmad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Form my experience blogging can pay you even more than your Job. Its just like starting your own business. Always choose t a topic based on what audience wants to read not what you want to tell. It should be well researched and consumer centric.

Mubashir Ahmad, Mar 21, 2017 IP
  6. ExtremeIM

ExtremeIM Active Member

Best Answers:
    blog on something that you are most passionate about. but between the two, I would chose the baking niche then create a facebook page like the ones from tasty and taste made. there are also some affiliate programs related to baking or you can create your own product as well (training, ebooks, etc) for your monetization

ExtremeIM, Mar 22, 2017 IP
  7. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should start a blog in a niche which you are passionate about and have great knowledge which you can share with your audience. Starting a blog that does not belongs to your passion can ruin your efforts and you lose everything. For example if you are gadget freak than start a tech blog on gadgets.

iwebsocial, Mar 28, 2017 IP