1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

nevermind

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by puffyclouds, Jan 12, 2013.

deleted out
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    puffyclouds, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  2. Original Hosting

Original Hosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm assuming you let your hosting package expire and this is why? Usually this would be because your hosting account(s) have been terminated meaning that they have to retrieve that data in order to get your websites functioning again.
    Original Hosting, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  3. puffyclouds

puffyclouds Peon

Best Answers:
    They don't tell you about this I don't want to pay the $75.
    They just shut you out without telling you.
    The people on this website and myself don't have the $75. Godaddy will erase all data and they do not care and have no compassion.
    Does anyone know how to get out of the fee? Godaddy won't budge.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. Original Hosting

Original Hosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    Original Hosting, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  5. monfis

monfis Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, sorry to confirm your bad luck. I finished with this mafia years ago. Whenever something's going out of their rules you are in REAL trouble!
    Don't know why so many people use them, have heard similar stories from lots of friends and customers. If you wish something better for almost the same prices, contact me.
    monfis, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  6. puffyclouds

puffyclouds Peon

Best Answers:
    Godaddy's been the best user friendly company I've been with them for 3 years
    I can't say I can recommend them anymore if they can't help out when you loose your data except exorbiant fees.
    If you find this Godaddy can you help me out? This website for a small business doesn't want a huge sudden fee and assumed my website data was safe on your servers.
  7. matt_62

matt_62 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    any data that you dont have 2 backups of is clearly not important to you. the fact that you have been with them for 3 years, and in that 3 years you have failed to backup your site, or take steps to put *some* backup procedure in place shows that you shouldnt be in charge of websites.
    Heres the thing, sites get hacked, Hosting companies go under, servers can crash and burn; so either admit that YOU stuffed up and failed to have proper backups and pay the fee, but dont blame goshit for your own incompetence.
    matt_62, Jan 12, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    There is a Golden rule, do backups, backups, backups even if the web host promise you every day backups etc. Anything can happen on the Internet, it is best to have a secured local copy that is updated regularly and even better if you schedule and keep backups from different months or days.
    wisdomtool, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You've posted this in eCommerce so I'm guessing you had an online shop there... and it's performed so badly that you can't afford the retrieval fee? I'd say they've done you a favour. The site was a waste of your time and energy. Time to move on to something that pays it's way.
    sarahk, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  10. matt_62

matt_62 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you're punching awfully hard below the belt there. did you run out of coffee or something?

$150 data retrieval is a joke, but the point isnt how much he has to pay, be it $10 or $1000, thats not the point. Issue is that hosts should provide better customer service then simply terminating your sites at the instant that you are late. Its not uncommon for people to forget bills, or be late in paying, and some sort of tolerance and or flexibility (within reason) is required.

Suspending the site when its overdue is fine, but deleting the site is not ethical.

In the very least, there should have been correspondence from someone at the company to advise him to pay or to move on. For me, If the site is an active site, I normally make an effort to advise clients that they are overdue, as well as that they will be terminated, and I make it clear that backups are available upon request for up to 2 weeks after termination. I dont even like to suspend a site (unless I really have to) as I want to avoid disruptions to clients income, emails and what have you.

Comeon sarah, if all your sites were wiped out, your losing what $xx per day, in addition to any data (as backups could be a week old), simply due to a trigger happy staff that doesnt care about its clients?

And to top it off, nearly everyone that I know of that is with godaddy complains over the difficulty of being able to do backups or move to another host. So in this guys case, he wont have a backup.
    matt_62, Sep 12, 2013 IP
    monfis likes this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Fair call, but as our new friend won't be back for 3 months we won't be getting an answer to some of my questions anytime soon. I don't know anyone who has used godaddy hosting and my advice is always to keep domain registration and hosting separate.

GoDaddy won't have trigger happy techs, the deletion will be automated but some exec somewhere has authorised the business rules behind the process before it got written.

I'd expect a client to be significantly behind in their payments and to have a poor payment record before a site got wiped out. We're now in a position of having to take the OP's word that this was a first transgression.
    sarahk, Sep 12, 2013 IP