1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Never installed a site on a host before, need a tutorial here

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by Laceygirl, Dec 7, 2006.

1. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    If you haven't yet been able to install the script, try this:

* Go to your CPANEL if your host has provided you one. Generally located at: domain.com/cpanel
    Enter your password and username.

* Here you should see a link to "mysql". Click it.

* Enter a unique name in the first form. Click "Create database" button. You get a successful message. Click "go back".

* Enter a username and password in second form. Click "Create user". If you have a user already made, you can skip this step. Successful message, go back.

* In the drop down box, select a user. In second one select the database name. (Set access priviliges. You can leave them to default as well.) Click "Add user to database" button.

Completed creation of a database to be used. If your host has not provided you "Cpanel", they must have already created a Database for you. In which case, ask them for "username, password, and connection method".

Now in CPanel click the link which says "phpmyadmin". If you don't have a cpanel, your host must have given you login for "phpmyadmin" Connect to phpmyadmin.

Here in the left frame, select the "database" from the drop box. The right frame should update itself.

Find a link which says, "SQL" in right frame. Click it.

Here you will see a "textbox", paste the contents of your sql text file in this box. Click go.

----
    (Important: If this sql data tries to create a database, you will get an error message. In which case, remove the lines which create the DB).
    The line looks like:

CREATE `database`...

Click go again.
    ----

Your database should be populated, (filled) now.

* Open config file in the script.

* Change the values of username, password, host, and database name to the one provided by you, or to you just created.

* Upload the entire script to your host. Don't change the directory structure.

* Go to update.php . The script should update the database if required.

* Go to your homepage. Hope it's working now! :)

BTW, Some hosts like godaddy don't provide a cpanel like the one described above. But they do have a set installed so you can yourself create databases.
    Bye :)

JEET, Dec 9, 2006 IP
    saadahmed007 likes this.
  2. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I'll tell you exactly what I did. I'll just change what I typed for usernames,passwords, and stuff like that.

The site I want to get up is an arcade. the url is http://echoarcade.com
    I went to cpanel for my host went in the Mysql(Databases).
    -I made a database called "echoarcadedata"

-this made it say it was "echoeart_echoarcadedata" (I don't know why it added that in the front but meh, Actually I registered the host to echoearthquake.com but ask for it to be changed to echoarcade. This would be why it's saying echoeart_ instead of echoarca_)

anyway, I made a user called grave (so that would be now "echoeart_grave".

-I added the user grave to the database in full privaliges.

-Then I walked to the phplink at the bottom and clicked on the left link.
    -I uploaded the sql.sql. No big deal it's all in place. I noticed it said something about 13 querry's somewhere in one of those tabs, but whatever.

So that parts done right, correct?

Continuing on...........
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now it's time to edit the config. I open it up with the notepad(the best website creator program in the world, by the way)

So, that's how I set it up, so that should be done.

Continuing on.......

I go to my little filezilla and get to the host.

-I click into the public_html folder and upload everything for that script into it. The images, phps, games, etc. (except the read-me and the sql.sql notpad thingy)
    )Note that there is also stuff in folders too like admin, includes, etc with files inside)

Everythings good all uploads were successful.
    Now the public_html has 6 folders with files in them, as well as a few more in the main public_html folder.

-Now I went to http:www.echoarcade.com/update.php.
    It said "now it is updated, remove this file, so I did.

Now I'm going back to the website http://www.echoarcade.com.

Now why ins't it still...........What THE!!!! It's working. The thing isn't all messed up!! Wow. I must've made some mistake somewhere. (man, what a waste of typing!!!)

Woo-hoo.

Thanks Jeet, krakjoe, C-SEO, colbyt, and Sadd.

You guys are awesome. Now I have much template modifying to do, what a crappy template they made for me.

:D

Laceygirl, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  3. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just so you will know the answer,

cPanel hosting always appends the DB name and DBuser name with the accountname and underscore to make them unique to the sever.

Colbyt, Dec 10, 2006 IP