1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Never got listed

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Trailerdownload, Nov 22, 2005.

How long does it take to get listed in here .

I tried to get in 5 months ago and i have normal size site. ( about 6000 to 8000 uniques a day )

Trailerdownload, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  2. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Somewhere between 1 day and several years.

pagode, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  3. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried to look at the site in your profile and it doesn't load very well, had a pop up and freezes when trying to navigate it...could that be the reason?

Test-ok, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    That could be a reason. If an editor visited a site with those problems they would probably leave it to be reviewed at another time. Some would delete but I think that's in the minority.

Which site are you wondering about?

compostannie, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  5. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    compostannie, I can only imagine Trailerdownload is talking about trailerdownload.net. I took a look over there, and it has an incredible amount of annoying ads. I realize a download site has a lot of hosting costs, but there's got to be a better way to earn money than inundating visitors with intrusive ads. Don't know what the average person's threshold for ads is, but a DMOZ editor's has got to be much lower.

torunforever, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  6. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    That's been discussed..more than once. It's still about content and well pop up ads aren't really any new type of content that would ever be considered so. ;)

Test-ok, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  7. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    trailerdownload has 3 sites listed in his profile. If he has a lot of annoying ads we don't like it anymore than anyone else would, but we look beyond that to see the quality and amount of content and go from there.

compostannie, Nov 22, 2005 IP
    torunforever likes this.
  8. PBFerrigan

PBFerrigan Guest

Best Answers:
    So true, I remember submiting so long ago I can count the time in apartments.

-Peter

PBFerrigan, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  9. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    don't move so much...and it won't seem as long. :D

Test-ok, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  10. Trailerdownload

Trailerdownload Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep there are many cost to the server not to forget i got hacked 2 weeks ago and my server was offline for 1 week .

I hope they list me one day . I am trying to get at least popups as possible . The big problem is i can't see most popups my self . i don't know how many people get.

Thanks all for your help

I just need to wait a longer .

Trailerdownload, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  11. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    If your the web master, thats something you should know. I really have a problem with folks who wonder why it takes someone else so long to do something when they should be looking in their own back yard and see what the problem is or see maybe why there not getting this listing...In other words were doing your work.
    end of rant. :)

Test-ok, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it sounds like you could do a lot more than just wait. If an editor visited your site when the server was offline or hacked, the site suggestion may have been rejected. You need to find out exactly what's going on with your website, get control of it, fix everything and make it worth listing. Then, you should submit again, but only one time to the correct category. ;)

Good luck working out all the bugs!

compostannie, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  13. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Popups - depends how many and what they do. There is at least one series of domain names that when you open the site popups appear that also try to download spyware and other malicious programs. I would never ever list such a site and I would leave a note for other editors telling them what it tried to do to me. It is unlikely it will ever be reviewed by any editor. So make sure that is not what you or your host is doing. An editor takes a lot of risks with their computers by reviewing all manner of spam - even if a site is cleaned up the note stays on the record (all log notes are permanent and cannot be edited or erased). An editor is unlikely to take a risk in opening a site that has been previously noted as containing malicious software so once labelled it is highly likely the site is dead as far as DMOZ is concerned - abandon the URL and start again.

If the site contains so many popups that it interferes with the site navigation or it is clear the site is designed primarily to generate income from the advertising and not to provide useful information then the site is likely to be rejected.

A single popup and discrete advertising and affiliate links that don't interfere with navigation or obscure the unique content should not result in rejection.

I've also recently come across a site operated by a TV network. It is so full of adverts trying to download tracking cookies, and my computer is so loaded with anti-spam protection, the site simply does not load at least 50% of the time. I wouldn't list it. I wouldn't reject it either, it would just languish forever if it came up for review.

brizzie, Nov 24, 2005 IP