1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Networking for Writers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jhmattern, Oct 4, 2006.

1. skelton1234

skelton1234 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the post...it's interesting to see things from the writers view point.

I've been looking for witers who want to write for links without much luck. (I allow 3 links and a 50 word about the author block for any article you don't charge for)

I look for 450+ word articles on the topics of health, vacations, relaxations, aquariums, art, and diet/exercise...

I hire writers, and forum posters, PM me ... (I also buy blog posts on pr4+ blogs "related" blogs)

skelton1234, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The writers in this group aren't the ones to target then. You won't get writers trying to make a living to do that. But what you might find are some people who are simply looking for exposure to promote themselves as an expert in some field. You could try starting a separate thread in the content or marketing areas here, or you could look for people who run their own sites on those topics and ask if they'd be interested in doing that for the link back (if you have a high enough PR site, you might even get a few recognizable names to do it). I'd think diet/exercise would be the hardest in that sense, b/c the real experts in those areas generally charge a small fortune just for consultations. You might find some beginning writers or something though to just do general research. Or use ones from free article directories.

jhmattern, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  3. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    Jennifer (or anyone else who'd like to answer), how long does it generally take for a writer to reach these higher-paying gigs? I've been writing (for money) since March of this year, and it is a struggle to find decent-paying jobs. I scan the job boards every day (RAC, MediaBistro, Craigslist, etc.) and do my own keyword searches on Google. I apply for jobs, but employers aren't willing to pay my requested rate (which is very low at six cents per word). Lol, my highest-paying gig right now is $30 per 400-word articles--paid in gift certificates. I am querying print publications, so hopefully things will someday take a turn for the better.

Oh, dear. This post has become a vent. It does, however, feel good to get this off my chest. ;)

wordscientist, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  4. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    There's no defined set of time before a writer can reach these higher paying gigs. You have to take the time to build up a decent portfolio and then network, network, network! Apply like crazy to all decent paying job listings you feel you are qualified for. Most webmaster forums (including this one) won't pay decent rates, so it's best to search elsewhere.

With dedication, time and effort on your part eventually you'll start getting those lucrative writing gigs. Clients willing to pay liveable wages are out there, it just takes time to find them.

DeniseJ, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  5. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    It only took me personally about 3 months. I just refused to take lower paying gigs, networked, and moved right on in b/c I targeted a niche that I'm an expert in and had the education and experience to back up. If you're talking about general writing, it might take longer, especially considering niche and trade publications will often pay more, but they also expect more.

Like Denise said, it takes dedication and effort. You have to value your work for what it's worth. If you let yourself start too low, it can be almost impossible to make drastic moves upward in a short amount of time.

In the meantime, subscribe to www.writersmarket.com, and look at www.journalismjobs.com and www.mediabistro.com - two of the better writing gigs sites (not easy to find good freelance opportunities, but they show up... just keep looking). :)

jhmattern, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  6. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    Denise and Jennifer, thanks for your thoughts and advice. I've spent the last couple of days stepping up my search--and honing in on my copywriting skills. I think I can, I think I can...:D

wordscientist, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Glad to hear it. Good luck. :)

jhmattern, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  8. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Good luck, Wordscientist! :)

DeniseJ, Oct 20, 2006 IP
    wordscientist likes this.
  9. highflyer

highflyer Peon

Best Answers:
    This networking thing really seems to be working. I see at least a few people give Jenn and Denise recommendations everyday. Then again, maybe it's just your work (and charisma) speaking for itself. :D

Let me know if you open up more spaces for the group, Jenn. I'd love to join.

Oh and those tips in the beginning were really helpful. I tried giving you some green rep, but turns out I’m stingy, and I need to “spread it around!”

highflyer, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  10. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Glad we can be any kind of help. :)

I'm actually weeding out the group Monday. We have only about half of the members actually participating, so I gave them till Monday to contact me. If they don't, they'll be cut off, and I'll be opening their spots. I don't want the group around for people to simply lurk and hope to pick up some good leads. So early next week I'll probably open more spots.

When we get to that point, I'm going to have people email me first if they want to be considered... just applying to the group doesn't tell me unfortunately if they meet the requirements or not. So I'll give more info on what you'll need to tell me early next week, and I'll choose the people who best fit the requirements based on how many spots get opened.

After that, I'll eventually still open another 5-10 spots before converting it into a site as I find time... at which point membership will be open to the public.

Glad any of us could help you out at all even in the forum. :) Stop being stingy. ;) j/k

jhmattern, Oct 20, 2006 IP
    wordscientist likes this.
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Forgot to post the update here earlier:

I opened 5 spots in the professional writers' networking group this morning. Please follow the instructions in the new thread if you're interested in applying. Because of the number of inquiries privately last time, I won't have the time to answer everyone again. The requirements and only allowable exceptions are posted in the new thread to make it easier. :)

Another 5-10 will be opened later once the original 10 are settled (these spots are just to fill the ones from members who I had to cut this morning b/c they signed up and weren't anyhow involved in the group still). They're welcome to reapply following the same instructions as everyone else. :) When I open the next set of spots, I'll likely consider pulling from my other writer networks and not just DP, so apply while it's exclusive to forum members. It will eventually be converted into a membership site that's publicly available, so if you don't get one of the spots, the information will be accessible down the road. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  12. telegraph.hill

telegraph.hill Peon

Best Answers:
    Excllent advice and links, Jennifer. Thank you.

I am just a newbie starting out.

telegraph.hill, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  13. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pay a visit to Jenn's BizAmmo, she has excellent resources for both newbies and skilled writers: www.bizammo.com

Mystique, Oct 27, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  14. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Thanks. :) There's not much if anything there exclusively for writers, but there's a section on freelancing that has some things that would hopefully help someone. :) If you come across an odd series of red links, just ignore them. I'm slowly but surely going through and fixing them as I find them. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    We still have one more opening in the professional writers' group. I'd rather not open it outside of DP just for one member, so if you fit the requirement or exceptions, please visit the thread with instructions to apply.

jhmattern, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The group just filled it's last spot today, and is officially closed for the time being. We may open it to another group at some point, although probably not a DP-exclusive next time. Thanks to anyone who applied to participate. I can say we've got a good group to work with. :)

jhmattern, Nov 6, 2006 IP
  17. duzins

duzins Peon

Best Answers:
    To pay the bills before I started getting decent rates I blogged. Now I make more blogging than I ever did getting paid per word. If anyone wants some help finding blogging jobs, I've had some success with matching people up w/blog networks. Anyway, you can PM me if you need help there.

If nothing else, maybe it could tide you over til' the highpaying content gigs came in...

Oh, and if you open that group up again, I surely hope I can get in. It sounds like my kinda group :)

duzins, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  18. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    When we open it again, I'll be sure to announce it. :)

In the meantime, anyone interested can check out my new freelance writing forum at www.AllFreelancing.com - It's been up a few days, but just finished getting things settled today. I'm posting lots of resources for writers as I find them in the marketplace area (you need to register to view it). Today was a group of free online courses for writers and a small writers market list (I'm keeping the highest paying markets I come across in the private networking group, but these are still better than what a lot of writers advertising services here are making). Feel free to sign up and have a look. I'll probably be posting openings to the private group in advance over there anyway from now on. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  19. duzins

duzins Peon

Best Answers:
    Jennifer, if you've got a banner for the forum, I'll post it for free at my blogger's forum. We are reaching some of the same people so I'd be glad to do it :)

I am sure once you've got it up and running well it will be a really valuable resource for my visitors.

duzins, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  20. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Thanks. :) I haven't had a chance to put one up yet. I'll work on it as soon as I can though, and send it to you when it's ready. Thanks again. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Nov 8, 2006 IP