1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Netfirms down!!

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by buldozerceto, Feb 23, 2008.

1. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes...Netfirms are down. I am experiencing the same problem for my auto insurance blog. I think we can switch over to any other services including Godaddy.com :(

kittyluver, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  2. MJ stormy

MJ stormy Guest

Best Answers:
    My site came back up around 6:00 pm yesterday.

I found this post here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=673608
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    An update from Netfirms

Thank you all for your support and patience while we worked on restoring services and fielding inquiries yesterday. I also understand that many of you had to endure a tough Saturday during this service interruption.

All websites are fully functional with data intact and your queued e-mails delivered by now.

To summarize, we experienced a total loss of power at our primary datacenter facility housing the Netfirms corporate sites and a large number of our hosted customer websites. During routine power maintenance by the facility at around 10:30 AM ET, all that redundant power that was supposed to kick in did not. We depend on our datacenter for clean reliable power. Being at a facility with over 18 power generators and housing almost every major carrier in North America, this was hard to swallow. While we got normal power resumed in about an hour, it took us longer to get the network reconfigured and hundreds of servers back online, properly configured.

At our corporate office, with websites being unavailable, we received a massive surge in phone calls, completely overwhelming our call center phone circuits. We had every team member from billing, sales and customer service responding to customers. There are definitely some changes we'll make to ensure we are able to communicate updates better to you.

Over the past 10 years, our Technology Team has worked hard to ensure everything about our platform is more reliable, functional and redundant including web serving, email delivery, database, dns, file storage, routers, firewalls and network providers. Our Technology team will be making some changes to prevent such an extended service interruption including expanded usage of our secondary datacenter and of course our current power feeds, something we have taken for granted over the years.

If you have any questions, we are here to help.

Regards,

Thomas Savundra

MJ stormy, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  3. Tracon

Tracon Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't seem to create a gallery in picture pro on my site...is netfirms still screwed up ???

Tracon, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  4. keymarket

keymarket Peon

Best Answers:
    We purchased the shopping cart called "ZenCart" on the 4th. July 2010 from Netfirms and since that time we have not been able to use or gain access to the admin configurations of the shopping cart; during which time there has been many emails sent and received - all to no purpose. It would appear that Netfirms support team have no idea how to install/configure the ZenCart in order to work correctly; many weeks have passed, many assurances but all without resolve, preventing us from carrying out business activities.
    From the 4th. July 2010 up to this moment in time 27th. August 2010 Netfirms have still not sorted anything out and they will not refund our money, and we have lost business.
    If you require to see the emails we can provide these for you; but something must be done to rectify the situation.

Anyone got any ideas where we can officially complaint to about Netfirms - they should not be allowed to get away with this sort of thing... very poor service.

keymarket, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  5. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems to be a poor showing by Netfirms. If you've had an unresolved support issue since 4 July and they won't refund you it's a bit shoddy and they should be ashamed.

But c'mon, 7 weeks! Why did you wait that long? I know it can take time - report issue, wait for support, support can't get it to work, come back to you etc etc - but 7 weeks was excessive for the problem you were having. Zen Cart installation is simple. If it isn't working (for whatever reason) they should have resolved your problem within 24 hours.

What you do to attempt to get your money back is up to you, but get yourself another host and if they can't resolve a something quickly, move on. Don't wait 7 days, never mind 7 weeks for a software install to be completed.

Good luck with your next host.

RonBrown, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  6. keymarket

keymarket Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Ron,
    Just to put you straight, we did NOT leave it for 7 weeks to get back to Netfirms, you should see the amount of emails we sent to every department at Netfirms, including the so-called management team.... we are absolutely fed up with them.

We found practically straight away that Netfirms so-called support has been nil, in fact at one point they inferred that I had altered the admin folder.

Anyway, nice to hear from you.
    Do you know where we could officially complain about Netfirms?

keymarket, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  7. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I appreciate that. You must have the patience of a saint. I was alluding to the fact that you continued to host with them for this period when your problem (not a difficult one to fix...usually) wasn't being resolved.

Even if you had, couldn't they just have re-started the install? It's not exactly rocket science to the support/tech guys who do this every day.

Welcome to the wild west! Netfirms are a legitimate company - unlike many hosts that are around - so I suppose a complaint to their Customer Services team may have some impact. In the US there's the Better Business Bureau that I've heard of but don't know how effective they are, and there are probably other consumer organisations, but what you do depends upon what you want to get out of this as I don't imagine you want to host with them anymore.

First thing to do is find a new host and get your business online. That should be your priority. Try to put the issue at the back of your mind while you get your business moving.

Write to their customer services department with details of what went wrong, the length of time it took to get no real help, and ask for your money back...they should give you it. If they don't, and don't give a good reason why, if you paid by Credit Card then speak to the CC people them about not getting the service you paid for. Making a chargeback isn't something I would normally suggest because you need to hear 2 sides of a story before you go down that route. It seems a bit drawn out, but with Netfirms being a large legitimate company they will should deal with your issue and are unlikely to ignore it - even if their support team are terrible. I think you should try to get your money back from them first. With smaller, less reputable/legitimate companies you usually have to be harsher quicker but they are also less likely to come after you for the money if they think they have a right to.

Just use your common sense, and don't be so patient next time. Things happen, things do go wrong occassionaly, but 7 weeks is too long by any standard.

RonBrown, Aug 27, 2010 IP