1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Netfirms down!!

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by buldozerceto, Feb 23, 2008.

1. seodel

seodel Peon

Best Answers:
    yes dear,,but still i am unable to access my control panel & none of my domain is working...

seodel, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  2. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Main site: Just (recently) came back up.
    My sites: Still down

gemini181, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  3. MyRedz

MyRedz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wow geesh and i was just thinking of buying some hosting for a coupon of 10 bucks for first year...now i have to search some hosting coupons else!

MyRedz, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  4. a1_andy

a1_andy Peon

Best Answers:
    There was an outage notification posted to NANOG this morning related to power at where netfirms is located.
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all,

Today is Diesel Day at 151 Front Street, where the building owner
    shuts down all grid power to allow intrusive power maintenance to
    happen, and the building is fed by generator power only.

At least one suite on the 6th floor has been affected by a generator
    failure, so far.

Just thought I'd pass on the news, in case there's anybody here who is
    scratching their heads about equipment or sessions down in Toronto
    which seem to have no rational cause. Most ISPs in the building (and
    the TorIX) have engineers on-site; if you have equipment located there
    which needs some TLC and you have no immediate/regular access to
    remote hands, let me know off-list and I'll try to put you in touch
    with someone who has appropriate access: I'm not on-site, but I have
    phone numbers for people who are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just hopeing they didn't fry anything important.

a1_andy, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  5. Kovo88

Kovo88 Peon

Best Answers:
    my 40+ domains and websites are all still down
    lost so much money today, its not even conceivable.

Kovo88, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  6. gemini181

Best Answers:
    Netfirms: Powering over 1,000,000 websites worldwide

Oops...
    :rolleyes:

```
    I wonder how many customers they will lose over ~3 to 4 hours down?
    My sites are still down.
    Anyone up yet?

7. Kovo88

Kovo88 Peon

Best Answers:
    imagine, right now, a million people are websiteless

Kovo88, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  8. gemini181

Best Answers:
    1,000,000 sites, all down! :eek:

```````````

Edit: Short and memorable, but...
    It doesn't make a very good slogan.

9. bdubnm

bdubnm Peon

Best Answers:
    Just got off call with Netfirms support. They confirmed it was a complete power loss (including backup generator). This is why phones and their own support site was down. She informed me that only "Enterprise" accounts are maintained at their backup facility, and those should be opperational.

She said some sites are starting to come back online and all should be back online within an hour.

She also told me to email csm@netfirms.com to ask about compensation for downtime. She said each account will be treated individually.

bdubnm, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  10. rb3m

rb3m Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't know about that. We have an enterprise account and the site, although reachable, only shows a blank page.

I hope my files are ok :(

I have backups but it will be a pain uploading all that again.

rb3m, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  11. MJ stormy

MJ stormy Guest

Best Answers:
    My Index will load, email works but links are still down.
    www.mjstormy.com

Here is the error message when I click a link.
    Proxy Error
    The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /stormy/.

Reason: Could not connect to remote machine: Host is down

MJ stormy, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  12. a1_andy

a1_andy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep I have enterprise hosting as well and all my sites are still down. My phone has been ringing off the hook and I have no Idea how meny new customers I'm loosing or what this email outage will result in reputation wise :( . I've been in damage controll mode all day now. 6 hrs now on a Sunny Saterday and not making nothing for my trouble. What a mistake going with netfirms. Nice backup guys to bad it dosen't work.

a1_andy, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  13. MJ stormy

MJ stormy Guest

Best Answers:
    Now I have a Data Base error when I click my message board

MJ stormy, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  14. gemini181

Best Answers:
    Please, let us know how many months they offer you for free.
    ````````
    ````````

This thread brought in several new members to DP. :)

/Looks like people search Google for "Netfirms down", and end up here or at WHT.

15. wikman

wikman Peon

Best Answers:
    thats the message on my site now!!!! Jesus Christ! :mad:

wikman, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  16. gemini181

Best Answers:
    My database connection works now.
    It's all coming back.
    `````````

Welcome to DP :)

17. Goldenarmz97

Goldenarmz97 Peon

Best Answers:
    Argh, my site is still down...:mad:

How much work is it to migrate my site to a new forum?

Goldenarmz97, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  18. ritosh

ritosh Guest

Best Answers:
    Webceo reported website's estimated time on error: 10h 6min 24sec . Yeesh.

ritosh, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  19. mnewelski

mnewelski Peon

Best Answers:
    7:26am EST... still down... called tech support number several times, but all I got was voice mail promising they will call me back, left a few messages. Tried e-mailing them twice too - no response. Is it me or this is getting really FU****G ridiculous??? I'm moving out of Netfirms! Who's with me? We can't just let them do something like this to us without any consequences!!!

mnewelski, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  20. stevem01

stevem01 Peon

Best Answers:
    To all, FEB 24th 2008

I made the BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER by joining netfirms. They continuously try and lame blame for their mistakes on their users, NEVER reimburse for anything, its a too bad so sad with them.

Hosting with them on average was ok in the beginning but once i included mySQL database on the linux/windows environment problems started with errors, slow loading, their techs opening my files in windows environment programs not saving them properly and crashing my entire work.....what great talent they recruit!

I have had enough with netfirms, I have many websites with them and now refuse to give them any further of my business, nice that the took a proactive approach and informed us all that this power BS was being considered and then done, we as usual are to be left in the dark.

I have complained to the BBB online, that little fancy button they have to make them look good, and I suggest you all do the same, because you will not get ANYWHERE with i promise you. Start with the BBB online reporting on them and then and only then will netfirms wake up.

GUYS I am trying not to bash, but what else is left to do when you try time and time again to get results to no prevail. It's sad there are still company's like netfirms around! STEVEM

Have a look:

User 'u70357232' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 50000)
    whats all this about, im i being asked to look elsewhere to have better service
    your claiming your running mysql 5 but in fact you are running on version 3.23
    there is nothing in your documents about limits?
    why am i getting mysql errors for fetch array? in less than a week you have fixed
    these issues for me why are the happening?
    this database ran better on a home server than it does on yours.
    we checked our date stamps and you netfirms did not fix anything on our end but on
    your end, so this leads me to believe that your servers are not going to be able to
    handle my queries.
    We are an auction site, from what i can tell your first. We should work to make this
    run flawless

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We can assure you that we are using MySQL 3.23. We would like to inform you that
    PHP's mysqli library is not enabled at this time so it is currently using MySQL 3.23
    API while still running version 5.

The max_questions error you have received is a temporary block resulting from one
    user running 50,000 queries. This block should last for one hour.Richard Netfirms Inc

notice that they claim to run 5 but confirm the only run 3.23

BBB CASE#: 1170049
    Complaint filed by: Steve Myers (More)
    Consumer Info
    NAME:

Steve M
    DAY PHONE:

ADDRESS:

Gatineau, QC
    EVE PHONE:

EMAIL:

FAX:

(Less)
    Complaint filed against: Netfirms Inc (More)
    Business Info
    NAME:

Netfirms Inc
    BBB MEMBER:

YES

Ms. Sandra Yick
    ADDRESS:

1800-5160 Yonge St
    North York, ON M2N 6L9
    PHONE:

416 661-2100
    FAX:

416 661-0700

(Less)
    Complaint status: Case Closed AJR (More)
    Activity
    Date

Activity

Description
    01/31/2008 Case Closed AJR
    01/31/2008 Inform Business - Case Closed AJR
    01/31/2008 Inform Consumer - Case Closed AJR
    01/31/2008 Bureau judged complaint resolved
    01/24/2008 Consumer rejects business' final offer (The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
    "Once again, we encourage Mr Myers to resolve the technical issue stemming from his third party application directly with his web developer."

First to respond to that statement, I have provided the information back to my developer. I will ask this question, netfirms proclaims they have qualified technicians manning the phones. Then if they are as qualified as your claiming, why after we concluded our investigation was deemed that issues stemming from netfirms such us opening php/mysql in a windows environment is not logical, and any qualified tech should be able to tell this to you.

I would love a copy of the EXACT abusive and "racist" remarks that are being alleged.

Sandra this is not a very difficult issue to have me return to be a happy consumer, I expect netfirms to do as they say they will do, and provide me something in return for all of this mess. Im not asking for you to give me anything extreme but something.
    01/23/2008 Send Business' Rebuttal Response-New Offer
    01/23/2008 Received Business' Rebuttal Response As discussed, our original information and response offered to Mr Myers regarding case #1170049 remains. Once again, we encourage Mr Myers to resolve the technical issue stemming from his third party application directly with his web developer.

In regards to the inquiry Mr Myers made on Dec. 23, we would be happy to provide further assistance to him via . Our call centre is open 24/7 and our reps will happily provide phone support for those who prefer to speak with us directly. However, as in the case of the recent calls made by Mr Myers on Dec. 23, the rep who received his calls resorted to ending his calls with Mr Myers due to the abusive and racist nature of the caller. Going forward, the rep had advised Mr Meyers to send an email inquiry to us at so we may address his webmail issue. To date we have not received any email inquiry regarding his webmail issue; however we patiently await his
    further inquiry via email.

Warm Regards,
    Sandra
    Manager, Global Customer Excellence
    Netfirms, Inc.

01/08/2008 No Response from Business re: Consumer Rebuttal Jan.23/08 - L/M on Sandra's voicemail. dlb

Jan.22/08 - Sandra from company called & l/m for the BBB to call her. dlb

Jan 18/08 - called and left a message in the general mail box as we have no ext for Sandra. fd

Jan.2/08 - Sandra Yick called to advise that a response will be provided shortly. dlb
    12/27/2007 Forward Consumer Rebuttal to Business
    12/27/2007 Received Consumer Rebuttal (The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
    A unix formatted file written in PHP was accessed by a non PCBidz person for editing in a Windows environment. It would be impossible for a member of the PCBidz Development team to have done this as all laboratory development equipment is Linux (Unix) based. Upon investigation of the category edit functions of the code for the PCBidz website it was determined that Windows carriage return characters were embedded within the file. This would only be possible if someone had opened the file for editing within a Windows environment, and then saved the file and transferred it back to the server. If, as Netfirms claims, this was NOT done by one of it's employees at some point then this would indicate a serious security breach on their shared environment server. Due to the fact this this scenario would be highly improbable, the most probable scenario would be that a member of the Netfirms staff would have opened the file on his/her workstation to check for errors and as such may have inadvertently saved the file back to the server. A copy of the altered file was saved by PCBidz as proof of this modification.

Try again netfirms.

This is also VERY TYPICAL of netfirms, again we are having further issues with this company, and should really be forced to sit back and take a look at their services offered to consumers knowing better.

I telephone On Dec 23rd 2007 at 10:21 am and was speaking to a "Ahmed" to deal with yet even further issues with NETFIRMS products, specifically my webmail. I was having issues as email was being delivered not to my inbox but to my spam, and my spam was disabled, the rep that I spoke to had not even looked into the issue for me, and got quite rude, refused to help, hung up the phone on me, which regardless to say is not performing what their website stats "247" support

I Have paid in full for a service I am not receiving, if they still refuse to refund me the days I'm down, this will be escalated even further.
    12/20/2007 Forward Business response to Consumer
    12/20/2007 Receive Business Response We're happy to address the concerns reported by Mr Myers. The original issue reported was a problem with a 3rd party app he installed to his account that produced Invalid SQL Argument errors when adding b/w 10-20 categories in 1 session. He provided us with steps to replicate the error. We, with his permission, accessed his auction site and were able to replicate the issue. Our investigations determined there were too many queries being made to the database in a short period of time, thus exceeding a threshold limit in place on the *shared* hosting environment. We provided him with info. regarding his specific database queries and how they may be optimized properly to eliminate the Invalid SQL Argument error. We also recommended he contact his web developer to implement the suggestions as making code changes and supporting 3rd party apps are beyond the scope of our Support services.
    The Parse Error most recently reported was not a result of Netfirms making code changes to /mails/register_confirm.php file.
    The issue reported has been tracked via the following ticket #'s: 004-468-520/004-487-305/004-528-445. We also sent a follow up email (#004-535-412) when we didn't hear back from him regarding our suggestions. Based on our assessment of the issue reported, we believe we made all efforts to provide an explanation/solution to the problem reported (which didn't stem from any technical failure of the Netfirms Web Hosting services). As such, a refund will not be extended.
    12/13/2007 Inform MIP Member of Complaint
    12/13/2007 Send Acknowledgement to Consumer
    12/13/2007 Member or MIP Complaint Validated by BBB Operator
    12/13/2007 Bureau Comment Please note that the BBB is a not for profit organization and does not pursue compensation. However the BBB can try and assist with regards to the service issues.
    12/12/2007 Complaint Received by BBB
    (Less)
    Case Description: Contacted Netfirms with several complaints, faxed in my complaint regarding a known issue about mysql databases. Errors where popping up... (More) Contacted Netfirms with several complaints, faxed in my complaint regarding a known issue about mysql databases. Errors where popping up on my webpage and as netfirms being a hosting company was indicating that it was my code and that in fact after investigating it was not. Back and forth this has gone on. Sent the fax in on Nov 27th, received a partial workaround but did not receive any further regarding refunds ect ect. Dec 12th received error
    warning: unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /mnt/w0003/d21/s16/b02923a3/www/mails/register_confirm.php on line 3

parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_BAD_CHARATER, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /mnt/w0003/d21/s16/b02923a3/www/mails/register_confirm.php on line 5

it was investigated that netfirms opened and modified our code in a windows environment creating this issue.

There is a possible loss of users, revenue, and netfirms has done nothing to compensate me for my many long distance charges, headaches being on the phone with their UNTRAINED tech support.

My next step is now media, and they have been for-warned about this

Extra Detailed Info
    Account Number: domain name
    (Less)
    Category: Product Issues
    Case opened date: 2007-12-13
    Case closed date: 2008-01-31
    Desired Resolution: I wish to be refunded for my troubles of long distance, and a good portion of my hosting.... (More)

stevem01, Feb 24, 2008 IP