1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Negative Weights? Help

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by magiclamp, Mar 3, 2009.

I've searched the forum for posts about this topic and they were either really old, or they were never answered.

I have 4 sites in co-op, 2 are giving me positive weight, 2 are giving me negative weight. All 4 are green. All 4 use the exact same code, as they are ASP includes from the same shared source.

Ideas? Maybe a clue or some help?

magiclamp, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  2. hasen

hasen Peon

Best Answers:
    At least your weight is changing! Most of us don't even get that...

hasen, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  3. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    SERPalert, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  4. magiclamp

magiclamp Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, so with no expectation of an answer in sight, I decided to do some experimentation.

I have a Google API key so I can check and recheck weight/validation as much as I want.

I tested moving the links to different places in the site's HTML. I removed the links, failed validation, re-added the links, revalidated. None of this worked. This was on top of waiting a number of days to see if things "reset" themselves on their own.

Then I turned off rel=nofollow, and voila, positive weight.

I think there is either a new bug in the penalty calculations for rel=nofollow or the code Sean fixed years ago regressed via other updates. It also seems that only certain scenarios cause this to happen... I can give more insight into the scenarios if anyone is interested.

magiclamp, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  5. hasen

hasen Peon

Best Answers:
    That's great you've managed to get that to work. Someone I know has been having that problem for three years...

hasen, Mar 7, 2009 IP
  6. shan23

shan23 Peon

Best Answers:
    no insight yet

shan23, Apr 29, 2009 IP