1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Negative PayPal balance

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Semiotic, Dec 5, 2018.

I stupidly sold some digital goods without realizing PayPal offers no protection for them. Long story short I got scammed, the buyer got a refund and the goods, and I now have a negative balance on PayPal. I had given most of the money to a friend, and I don't have enough in my bank account to pay the balance. How does PayPal get their money back? Are they going to take it from my friend? Any harm in just closing my bank account so they don't take it from there?

Semiotic, Dec 5, 2018 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It depends on
    • how much is owed
    • how easily PayPal can identify you
    • how much you are prepared to risk your future credit rating
    I doubt they'd take it from your friend - you are the one who incurred the debt.

I suspect you are a teenager - talk to your parents. Think about when you're older, with a partner, and wanting to buy a house together and the bank says No because of this debt... or an insurance company refuses to cover you because of this debt... Is it worth the risk?

sarahk, Dec 5, 2018 IP
    Mehta likes this.
  3. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You're SUPPOSED to have protection but yeah, for digital goods, they infamously don't really look into disputes or claims regarding digital goods. No matter how much evidence you have, they usually end up just giving buyers their money back and hitting you with a nice refund fee on top of whatever they return to the buyer.

As for PayPal taking money out of your bank, they cannot touch your bank without your permission. It depends on how much you owe them but they'll do an assessment to see if the amount is worth chasing down. More than likely, they'll send it to collections and you'll have a collection agency calling you all the time. It will put a negative impact on your credit score more than likely. They probably won't pursue any kind of civil suit unless we're talking thousands of dollars and even then, they have to deem that it's even worth going after in a civil case.

Quick side story: I called them back in 2011-2012 to pay off a $200 debt. I told the person who answered I wanted to pay off the debt, so that representative marked my debt as paid then told me I needed to be transferred to the right department to pay the debt. Once a new person picked up the phone, they said it looks like I already paid off the debt, I agreed and that was it. The day that PayPal literally screwed themselves out of $200 that I was actually ready to pay off because someone marked a debt as paid. Yes, they are that mismanaged.

coreygeer, Dec 10, 2018 IP
    sarahk likes this.