1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Negative Paypal balance, need advice and help. Underage

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by IFarmmy, Aug 5, 2013.

So, this is how the story pretty much starts.

I met a guy who wanted to buy some virtual goods, which I then sold him the goods for an amount of 350 USD. I got the money and everything was fine, I made some purchases and got my balance back to 0 USD. The next day the funds get put on hold, and my last 5 purchases automatically go into dispute. Long story short, the money got returned and I got stuck with a -350$ balance.

Now, this is all the information I have linked to my account-
    Walmart gift cards that I used as "credit cards" so I could add money to the paypal.
    My real address
    My real phone number, which I can change anyways.
    My real name
    I'm only 17

Paypal called me, I told him about my situation and even told him that I was underage. Needless to say he was a real dick to me, and pretty much told me that I'm screwed and they'll probably send bill collectors. I told him I'm 17 and in school, and he said that the situation will be floating around and one day come back at me. He also told me that the fund source was from a stolen credit card, and that's why they returned it (guy who gave me the money was either a kid using his parents card, or just a scammer.) We plan to move out of my house in a few years, and I'll probably be getting a new number soon. There's also people with my name anyways, so how worried should I be? Can they send debt collectors at me even though it's not my fault. What would I say to the debt collectors, and most importantly - Should I tell my parents?

Edit- just got another call
    I answered he said "are you under 18" I said "yes" then he said "okay" and immediately hung up.

IFarmmy, Aug 5, 2013 IP
  2. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're still liable. Whether they pursue you or not is another question.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Aug 5, 2013 IP
  3. webmaster1189

webmaster1189 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no they cannot do anything about that. Those are just calls which you needn't to worry about.

webmaster1189, Aug 7, 2013 IP
  4. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I recently had -800 negative balance in my P{P account due to an ebay sale gone bad, but after a while the negative balance just disappeared.

scurvy, Aug 7, 2013 IP
  5. kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry too much, although it can be a problem if you're underage with a PayPal account, as you've seen from this experience. Don't get too worried about the phone calls. There is little that they can do, other than make you pay back the money. Just be thankful that it wasn't worse and learn from the experience.

kaleidoscope, Mar 24, 2015 IP
    pianogirl likes this.
  6. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What? Please don't tell OP something like this. Negative PayPal balances don't just "disappear" for no reason. If you owe the money you owe it until it's payed. So there would have been a very valid reason why that happened.

OP. That PayPal dude does sound like a dick and has no right to talk to you like that. PayPal has been riddled with scammers using and abusing it since day 1 and they get loads of fraud all the time. They get given quotas in their offices that they have to meet by dealing with so many accounts, investigating claims of fraud, trying to restore funds to owners etc and was probably having a bad day. What a mug. There is such thing as Innocent until proven guilty and that exists for a reason! I have had the same thing happen to me. Someone purchased some sites via paypal i got the money but later the payment was clawed back and Paypal wouldn't even get off their fat arses to help me! For non-physical virtual products they don't really give a crap and as soon as the Credit Card company calls they give in like a bunch of pussies! Sorry but this is the ugly truth and PayPal. The dude threatening to send debt collectors to your house is talking BS. They never lost any money from your clawed back payment at most they can do is freeze your Paypal account until its paid back and then eventually if nothing is paid back or no pay back plan is worked out they will try to sell your debt off to debt collection company but they wont come round banging on your door collecting your stuff to sell. They will call you and write you letters and then you can put your case to them and take it to court or just agree to pay them back at $1 a month. And they have to accept that if thats what you offer. You have the right to know. Don't let them bully you. You done no wrong. It is because of Paypals flimsy ridiculously-easy-to-scam checkout process this has happened and it is NOT your fault. Next time Paypal ring tell them this! Don't take no crap off the corporate fat cats of this world that try to make you think like it is YOUR fault. It is not! It is PayPals fault here 99%. And 1% person who done the scam.

Best luck!

Mkcoy, Mar 24, 2015 IP