1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Needing to use a bump to relist unpaid auction

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Matthew Sayle, Mar 19, 2016.

I "sold" a website a little over a week ago to @htuanads.

I haven't received payment or a reply to my message, so I am assuming his financial situation has changed.

I will need to relist the website - however it seems I will need to use a "bump" in order to do so.

I understand that's the way the system is set up, however I shouldn't be punished because another member has a happy bidding finger.

Do I have any other options here?

I understand you don't get involved with member transactions and I don't blame you. However, when buyers have carte blanche - it's a recipe for disaster.

Matthew Sayle, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Buyers who do that don't really last that long because they end up banned real quick. You have an option to cancel his bid as a seller, and if it was a winning bid for an auction that ended more than 7 days ago, you also have an option to flag them as a non-paying bidder. Which in turns gives them a fairly severe warning in terms of how long it lasts and the number of warning points it is. If you have other bidders who bid on it that and their bid was above your reserve price, they may want to still buy it.

Either way, the best thing to do first is to cancel their bid if you aren't going to wait for them to pay anymore and flag them as a non-paying bidder.

Another thing you may want to consider is to put "Special Restrictions" on your auctions. Specifically make a bidder have a minimum required buyer rating to even *make* a bid. If you look at that user's Marketplace tab, that option would have prevented him from bidding (his Buyer Rating is only 20%). It wouldn't prevent every possible situation, but if you think about it, would you ever really want to deal with a buyer who more than half his transactions were unpaid or rated badly? And that would be just a 50% Buyer Rating score threshold.

digitalpoint, Mar 19, 2016 IP
    seo_buzz likes this.
  3. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply.

I will do everything you mentioned above.

As for the buyer rating, mine is 75% through no fault of my own - so that means I can't bid on auctions that require a higher buyer rating?

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If a seller required the buyer to have a rating greater than 75%, that would be correct. It's ultimately up to the buyer if they want to impose such restrictions and how stringent they want to make the restrictions. I mean if someone chooses to now allow users in the United States to purchase something, they can do that as well... again, their choice.

As far as a 75% rating being no fault of your own, I haven't run into a situation where that was actually the case. If a seller agrees that a buyer isn't liable for a winning bid, they can cancel the buyers bid. Other common scenarios (like not paying through Instant Pay), I won't really try to argue who's fault that is or isn't. lol But someone winning an auction that was setup for Instant Pay will get an email with the link to pay as well as the link when they are on this site when they win. If someone wins something on eBay and then doesn't use payment methods presented to them by eBay to make a payment and eBay shows that transaction as unpaid, I wouldn't exactly say it was no fault of the buyer. Either way, I don't know what your situation is exactly, but not really related to this topic, so will just leave it at that.

digitalpoint, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  5. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    Well, I won the site and paid within 5 minutes.

I received the domain but not the website files, when I contacted the seller he informed me that he was on vacation in Spain for a month and couldn't provide the files until he got back.

Then, his hosting account got suspended a couple days later. Within a week or two, the Google rankings the site had disappeared, rightfully so.

I contacted the seller multiple times with no response. I had no choice but to make a claim via Paypal, which I won.

Once I received the money back, my buyer rating went down to 75%.

Now, what part of that was my fault?

6. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    It doesn't really matter, I don't want to open the door for everyone coming here to whine about not being paid.

I will take your advice from before and hopefully it will weed out any future un-payers.

It's not a big deal - just didn't want to use a bump, no worries though.