1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need your opinion on my tutorials website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by gamelord, May 14, 2016.

?

Do you like the theme of my website?

1. Yes

2. Can be improved

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Hello people,

I started a tutorial website and need your opinion / review about it. The current theme is mobile friendly. Content-wise I will admit that I will have to do a lot of work. But feel free to suggest anything that improves the website.

Also I request you to visit one of the available tutorials like Java, C Programming etc and give your opinion on the content.

URL: http://www.startertutorials.com/

gamelord, May 14, 2016 IP
  2. venzlie

venzlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi, i have one suggestion, you can put a sidebar in the homepage for widget purposes, navigation bar, featured articles, ads, etc
    using sidebar format will increase your page per view per visitor :)

venzlie, May 14, 2016 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's ok but it's an ambitious project.

I took a look at design patterns.

Really, the beginner doesn't even know what they are yet, do they care?
    That's a really clumsy way to say "experience counts" and isn't it a given?

Is Smalltalk-80 the best example you could think of?

sarahk, May 14, 2016 IP
  4. gamelord

gamelord Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi sarah,

I think you had jumped into some of the links in the pattern tutorial. Actually people should start with "Introduction to Design Patterns" section in which the first post is "What is a design pattern?" and then user should follow through rest of the links one by one.

Design patterns are created by experienced developers. That is the meaning of that line.

The Smalltalk-80 example, I will look into that.

Thank you for your opinion though. :)

Hi venzlie,

Thank you for your suggestion and I will add them to my to do list.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
    gamelord, May 15, 2016 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My first comment related to this page: http://startertutorials.com/patterns/design-pattern.html
    It's the first actual tutorial page.

I first heard about Design Patterns when I was working on PeopleSoft systems, in a meeting with senior techs and business analysts. Because I hadn't heard of them I went off and did some research. I went through quite a few pages on your site and I really would have been none the wiser for reading your site. I suspect you need to rethink who your audience is and why they've come to your site. If they already have an appreciation for Design Patterns then I guess they'll be set - It isn't clear what level of knowledge is assumed. Maybe you could have a really basic catchup page for total newbies?

Once into a tutorial how do I get back to your homepage?

Why is PPL downloads and not to be read on the site?

I just downloaded the first programming slide thinking it might be interesting for my son.
    Do you have permission to use the University's intellectual property?
    The grammar is atrocious and the information is way, way to academic for beginners - I'd be saving half of that for the "So you want to create your own programming language" class.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    sarahk, May 15, 2016 IP
  6. gamelord

gamelord Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Sarah

By the way I am an Asst. Professor from India. I work in that college and I am the one who created that PPT / PDF. I just make them available online so that my students / users of the site can download them whenever they want.

Regarding the patterns one, thank you bringing to my notice about being unclear regarding the prior knowledge. I will update the site with those details.

It is mentioned within the homepage that links are provided in the sidebar for easier navigation.

Sorry for that. PPL is there only for downloading material. I will work on that in future.

It is mentioned in "Course Prerequisites" about the prior knowledge required. One cannot simply open up some tutorials and learn "Principles of Programming Languages" on their own.

About the grammar, I am sorry. I will try to improve on that.

gamelord, May 15, 2016 IP