1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need your ideas about a personal site

Discussion in 'General Business' started by bonjurkes, May 31, 2011.

Hello,

I would like to have a personal site (i can manage to do it myself), as i would like to use it on internet like my web identity. Things that i do, about me section, my carrier, places i worked, place i am working now, links to my social accounts and all other stuff.

But the point is : I am a newbie web developer. I suck at designing, that's why i want to be a coder. I am trying to learn PHP, and working at a company as a newbie coder.

So what should i do? Those portfolio sites are mostly for designers, they showcase their designs and experiences. And as you may guess, there isn't so much fancy thing for a coder for showcase.

Is there any examples about personal sites of web coders or developers? Is it ok if i use a ready made , as i am not good with design. Or using wordpress is a bad idea for a coder, because it's a ready made system ?

Why it's on business section? As i want to do business on internet, and i need a webpage about myself to promote myself :)

bonjurkes, May 31, 2011 IP
  2. fxtradeblog

fxtradeblog Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend you to use WordPress because it's the best web site platform and it will save you so much time. invest this time on promoting your web site. you can always run custom PHP on the WordPress platform.

fxtradeblog, May 31, 2011 IP
  3. av0id

av0id Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My suggestion would be for you to use screenshots of the projects you have worked on, so like, say you did use a pre-made wordpress portfolio theme, where designers would usually place pictures of logos, print media and other things they have created, you could use pictures of the programs/websites/whatever that you worked on.

However if you think your abit of a graphics designer, make something cool with the code snippets and use that for images

av0id, May 31, 2011 IP
  4. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    try to make your website on CMS

jhardy2008, May 31, 2011 IP
  5. helen_k

helen_k Peon

Best Answers:
    Try WordPress and you can understand a little bit how is all this working. May be WP will be enough for your purposes

helen_k, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  6. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Use Joomla- one click install it. You will learn pretty fast. I knew nothing about web development before I used joomla and I still can't code php (although I know a few bits of html). Joomla has great support and most people are keen to answer your questions. Joomla is a bit more customisable than wordpress so prob. is slightly harder to use.

sambling, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  7. TB Adriana

TB Adriana Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    you're right, it is hard for a coder to present himself. Perhaps you should include links to websites/projects you've worked on maybe with images and below them you can give details of what you did on them (eg. created widget x, developed feature y). + mention your areas of expertise

TB Adriana, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  8. thewhitehouse

thewhitehouse Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Use WordPress, buy a theme from Themeforest and show off your programming skills by programming WordPress plugins - if you want ideas for some you can PM me - I'm sure I've got some good ones!

thewhitehouse, Jun 7, 2011 IP