1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need to Delete 100s of Keywords & Clicking on each one doesn't cut it for me.

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by ChrisR, Jun 10, 2004.

Keyword Tracker is a great tool, and I am very thankful for it. I do have a technical problem though. I am tracking almost 1000 keywords and I need to make room for more by deleting all the current keywords or groups of them. Right now it appears I have to click on each words to delete them one at a time. I can't do that it would take hours. (Believe me I tried! )

For those of us who track hundreds or thousands of keywords, maybe I am in the minority here, Is there anyway I can delete multiple keywords at a time?

Right now I've gotten to the point where I really can't use the application anymore until I can delete keywords. I am thinking about purchasing WEBSEO for tracking but before I plop down almost $500 I'd love to be able to find a solution with Keyword Tracker.

Another option would be to export all the current keywords, then delete them
    all at once.

Thanks to anyone who can help,
    Chris

ChrisR, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The ability to mass delete will probably be added as an option at some point (when I get around to it), but currently it does not support it.

digitalpoint, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  3. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I see people tracking 1k+ kws I cannot resist to ask whats DP's monthly bandwith usage?

vinyl, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's measured in terabytes. :)

5. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    That's an amazing amount- what is the daily network traffic, if you don't mind my asking?

schlottke, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, there are all different types of traffic... web traffic, backend traffic (for example the queries made to the Google API), FTP traffic, email traffic, etc.

But the web traffic is roughly 50GB/day these days.

7. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Freak, we need to start donating some moula to your cause. Hopefully us visiting is covering your costs ;)

NewComputer, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  8. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    Chris - whats stopping you getting another API key? Different email address on same domain name, ... Group keywords tracked and have a different API for each, with the email address themed on the group of keywords.

t2dman, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Of course, that's against the Google TOS. :)

10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    How can you possibly be tracking that many words with Google's API restriction of 1,000 transactions?

Question 2. Why the hell would anybody want to track that many keywords? There is no way in the world any one site can be optimized for that type of keyword count. If this is really 100 sites with 10 keywords each then just delete the site and it will take all the keywords with it.

compar, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Lots of keyword tracker accounts track more than 1,000 keywords. When you run a check all, it will check as many as it can before the API runs out. So if you ran it every day, it would check as many as it can (starting with the ones it has the oldest "new" data for) and might get data every 2 or 3 days as a whole (with a certain percentage each day).

Since check all will try to run a group that was last run before today, in theory you could run out of queries on your key, then pop in another one, and Check All will pick up where it left off. But that's a no-no to have more than one API key.

Also, there is no "delete site" option. :)

12. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    do you have specific stat on this as I assume its the main bandwith eater?

vinyl, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not handy, no...

14. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The question still remains WHY?. Are these all associated with one site or domain? Or are they associated with 50 to 100 domains?. You can't optimize a site for 1,000 keywords or even a 100 for that matter, so it doesn't make sense to me.

compar, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well it might be multiple domains, but it's definitely arguable about being pointless to track > 100 keywords for a single domain. I track about 200 within digitalpoint.com (all bring traffic, and all are top 10).

Also, you can track competitors of the same keyword, and get multi-dimensional charts. So that may be another reason to have so many.

digitalpoint, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  16. ChrisR

ChrisR Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Right you are, I can't use more than one API. Tempting though.

As for how I could possibly tracking so many keywords. Let me reply to compar's questions and answer:

"Question 2. Why the hell would anybody want to track that many keywords? There is no way in the world any one site can be optimized for that type of keyword count. If this is really 100 sites with 10 keywords each then just delete the site and it will take all the keywords with it."

It is not at all impossible to rank very highly for thousands of keywords. With out naming the site, I will say we do so. I maintain a single site which is a niche directory that has many categories and subcategoris in it linked with every single city and state in this country. The entire directory is open to Google.com and we are talking about 150 thousand pages indexed. For many many "category city", or "sub category city", or "state city" we rank on the first page or two. We optimize each category seperately and carefully. Since the directory is database driven we can make a single SEO improvement that affects thousands of pages at one. You can probably see a similar effect with sites like Yellowpages.com, and Switchboard.com. Also, for the majority of the company listings in or directory, typing the company name in Google will produce a first page result. The folks in our directory love that. So that's basically how the hell it can be done ;)

As far as why I would want to track all these keywords. Well like anyone I want to see trends. I want to know if a certain category is declining in performance or improving. I want to monitor that so I can determine the why. Let's say I just did some SEO on a certain category, did it make a difference? Are my competitors edging me out? I also like to generate lists of keywords that my sales managers can use to show potential advertisers the rank standing of the site in their particular category--this helps sales immensely, though it is only one value point of many.

I could monitor so many more than a 1000 keywords, but thats the limitation I am up against right now. WebSEO maybe a good solution but I can still make Keyword Rank work for me for a while longer if I had a way to bulk delete.

Thanks Shawn for your great work on this tool. I learned about it from a little take home ruler embalzened with your domain name I got at the Search Engine Strategies converence last year.

Also correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think as compar mentions that you could create individual site categories in Keyword Tracker. If that were true that would have been helpful because I could use fake domains as categories. A nice way to organize. Still though I would need a bulk delete since I am not looking to delete entire categories at once, just some of the more redundant keywords in a category that don't give me much extra ranking information.

Thanks again.

ChrisR, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  17. ChrisR

ChrisR Peon

Best Answers:
    Compar said: You can't optimize a site for 1,000 keywords or even a 100 for that matter, so it doesn't make sense to me.

Compar, you are very wrong. For any sites (and it's easier with big database driven ones) each page is it's own chance to be optimized differently for a different set of keywords. You don't have to do SEO per domain, you can do unique SEO per page.

ChrisR, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  18. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok You made you point I stand corrected. I was thinking of normal commercial web sites selling a pariticular line of products.

It is very interesting however because I'm interested in building a directory type of site, with a target size of 100,000 pages. My plan would be to build on my very modest size InfoPool and publish 100,000 articles all categorized in a directory type of structure.

I'd be very interested in exploring your experience with this type of thing if you had the time and the interest. We would probably be best to do it privately. PM me if you are receptive please.

compar, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  19. ChrisR

ChrisR Peon

Best Answers:
    Bob, no problem I'd be interested in discussing this subject too and lending you any insight I can. I'll send you my contact info.

Chris

ChrisR, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  20. shteca

shteca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use a search and replace function.

shteca, Sep 2, 2012 IP