1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need to decide a laptop (urgent)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Red Pixel, Jan 11, 2014.

I need to buy a new laptop but I can't decide which to get. I have been using an AMD processor for sometime so I do not know much difference between the generations(of intel iSeries) of processor and the difference between i3 and i5 processors.

What I am actually looking for is a pc with such specs:

------------------------------------------------------------
    Must have things:
    • Processor Type: i3 or i5
    • Processor Bits: 64-Bit
    • Processor Speed/Max Turbo Frequency
    • Hard Disk: At least 500 MB
    • RAM: At least 4 GB
    • Screen Size: 14-15 inch (Cinematic View sort of thing)
    • Graphic Processor/Card: NVIDIA's
    • Weight: Light weight so that I can carry it in my backpack with some books
    • Battery Life: At least 4 hours
    • Camera: HD
    • Fans and heat: It shouldn't heat out much and don't want fans to make noise.
    • Design: does matter
    Optional:
    • Touch Screen
    • Keyboard with numeric pad
    • Keyboard with key light up thingy
    • Optical Drive
    • Budget: Around 500 - 600 $
    • Region: Pakistan
    Usage:
    • Anything that a Computer Science degree requires
    • Movie Watching
    • Casual gaming (Should be able to run most of the games)
    • Some graphic designing
    • It may be used more than 12 hours a day
    Currently I have found some laptops with some of the specs:
    • Sony Vaio Fit 14E - 213 (Costing about 590$ without touch screen)
    • Sony svf15218 (Vaio Fit 15E) (Costing about 740$ without touch screen)
    • Dell Inspiron 5423 - 14z UltraBook (Costing about 570$)
    • Samsung ATIV Book 2 (Costing about 470$)
    • Acer Aspire E1 - 571
    These two seem to have good specs but I can't find their prices and do not know their availability in my region:
    • HP Inspiron 7000
    • Lenovo IdeaPad U430
    Main Problems:
    • Lacks dedicated graphics in most of the laptops(14 inches) due to which I would not be able to play even some of the games
    • Weight and thickness
    • I think that all the laptops except those written in italics are a lil old but don't know how much
    • I don't know if I should prefer Sony over any other brand. When I ask some body that why its price is comparable higher, they say its the name + quality
    Thanks!!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Red Pixel, Jan 11, 2014 IP
  2. website1337

website1337 Active Member

Best Answers:
    really hope you meant 500gb and not 500mb as hard drive size ;) I would recommend getting one with ssd since it's so much faster. Boot time is usually ~10 seconds and all programs opens instant. I would look into quality if your'e going to use it on the move a lot. What I know Hp and Lenovo have really good quality, especially Lenovo. There's a reason they're being used by the military.

website1337, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  3. Red Pixel

Red Pixel Member

Best Answers:
    oh yeah 500 GB, typo mistake there. SSD can't be that much or it would really increase the laptop cost or you mean having a SSD additionally? Any models you would suggest?

Red Pixel, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  4. website1337

website1337 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not really sure, depends on what you want to get. For example how important is the weight? Which programs will you be using? How good quality does it need to be? What games do you want to play? How long do you plan on having it before upgrading? All these questions will help you decide. Also I don't know what the stores are in your area so it's hard to count bang for buck since I need some websites to compare between. Please answer the questions and send me some websites that's retailers in your area and I will look into it :)

website1337, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  5. Red Pixel

Red Pixel Member

Best Answers:
    • I just need it to be light enough to carry it in my backpack and to put it on my lap.
    • Programs like Adobe photoshop(not to a large extent), word processing and for programming purposes.
    • I want it to run almost all the games and games like GTA V with at least the normal settings without any lagging.
    I have sent you some of the websites. Thanks!!!

Edit:

These are three interesting laptops:

Sony Vaio 15E Fit (Without Touch) [1 year international warranty + 3 years local warranty] (Model svf15218)
    HP Envy 15 Touch [1 year warranty] (Model ENVY 15-J123TX)
    Acer Aspire E1 - 571G [Model Specs:
    Processor Type Intel Core i7
    Ram 4GB
    Hard Disk 750 GB
    Graphics Nvidia GeForce 710 2 GB
    Processor Speed 2.20 GHz
    Processor Turbo Up to 3.20 GHz
    Processor Cache 6 MB
    Processor Model i7-3632QM]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    Red Pixel, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  6. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Intel is better for laptops, cooler. An average user can not feel a difference between i3 and i5. The most important point is the date, not brand/model names.. Don't buy any hardware older than 12 months. Because most laptop hardware get "old" in 3-5 years.
    "old" means hard/inefficient to use due to new technologies and must be replaced with a newer version. Usually it's graphic card alone, sometimes graphic + processor.

Lenovo is very good at price/quality and can run linux OS's. You know windows is paid and linux is free.
    Toshiba laptops are durable for dust, dirt, drop and outdoor use but expensive than other brands with similar hardware config.
    Dell is the most friendly laptop with any software or OS's.
    Nvidia or high graphics in general are not needed for an average laptop user unless latest games should be played. Also those game laptops are usually expensive, $1500+
    I don't recommend Acer laptop especially stay away from a combination of Acer+AMD+Nvidia
    Lenovo is #1, hp, dell, toshiba and asus are good.

makeit easy, Jan 24, 2014 IP