1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

need suggestions for shopping cart script that can calculate price based upon sq.ft.

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Bernard, Feb 25, 2007.

I'm looking to help a friend build a site with a shopping cart that takes orders for a product where the customer must supply dimensions for the product. The shopping cart must then be able to do a simple calculation for square footage and derive the correct price.

Any suggestions on a good shopping cart that can handle this? Since the site is being built from scratch, PHP/ASP is not important and free/$$$ doesn't matter if the cart meets the business needs. TIA!

Bernard, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  2. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I've been searching around and have not found anything. Looks like no cart vendor has thought of this feature. Pity. There's several large markets of businesses selling products by the square foot just waiting for a solution. Opportunity knocks....

Bernard, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  3. rubendn

rubendn Peon

Best Answers:
    Bernard,
    I think it would be pretty rare to find a shopping cart that offers this "out of the box", but it shouldn't be that hard a modification to do on any shopping cart.

If you just want to store the square footage you probably wouldn't even have to make any modifications to the database. If you wanted to store the dimensions the customer inputs for each item it might take the additional of a couple extra fields.

rubendn, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  4. Bernard

Best Answers:
    I agree, it seems like it would be a simple modification to make. I just don't have the time to mess with it. I was hoping someone might have a mod/solution available.

Bernard, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  5. rubendn

rubendn Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you already have a shopping cart in mind?

rubendn, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  6. Bernard

Best Answers:
    No, I'm open to any suggestions. I looked at Apple Pie, X-Cart and osCommerce and any of them would be fine if they could handle the sq.ft. calcs.

Bernard, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  7. rubendn

rubendn Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm more on the ASP/IIS side than PHP.
    If you can go with IIS then take a look at CandyPress.com.

rubendn, Feb 28, 2007 IP