1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some feedback on new site

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Stalyn, Mar 1, 2015.

With this site, I aimed to keep it simple and fast. http://unplugid.com/ thoughts?

Stalyn, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The fixed metric (px) fonts end up leaving me diving for the zoom when I shouldn't have to; as the WCAG says use EM, not PX. The absurdly undersized / illegible text under "recent posts" in the sidebar is particularly frustrating, my having to zoom in a LOT for that to reach legible sizes when I wouldn't even have to touch zoom if you had designed using dynamic fonts and elastic layout. Remember, pixels are NOT your friend when it comes to accessibility.

Likewise many of your colour contrasts are far below accessibility minimums making it hard to read a lot of your content. Again the WCAG has math for figuring out if you are doing it right, though I'd point out that was written BEFORE font smoothing was commonplace and with thin/small font glyphs you often now need to go with 65 to 80% contrast instead of the 50% minimum it states. That grey on gray is particularly hard to see, and really that slate blue on the gray is no winner either.

Your attempt at being responsive seems to work nicely enough, I particularly like that you included the text "menu" next to the uselessly vague icon when you hide the menu behind that click to show -- though it would be nice if the target area for that were bigger since it's easy to miss / hard to click on using my phone.

In terms of speed it seems to load reasonably fast for me, though that it's a megabyte in 49 files means I'm getting lucky on that -- usually a site built from 49 separate files can take up to half a minute to load. MOST of that problem seems to stem from the endless pointless scripttardery... There is NO reason for that to be loading 26 separate scripts totaling a third of a megabyte! Likewise given the lack of / inconsistent media targets there is no good reason for it to be using eight separate CSS files -- much less a ridiculous 128k of CSS. Do I smell a framework in action?

Worse, it's turdpress. You know, for a turdpress site you've done a really decent job of making it your ****, though it could use a good bend over the table for a round of BOHICA. That it's sending screen layout to "all" and still vomiting up pointless code bloat ineptitude like:

<li id="menu-item-125" class="menu-item menu-item-type-custom menu-item-object-custom menu-item-125">
    Code (markup):
    Really should be fixed -- again though, that's just what turdpress does if you don't pimp slap it a few times and then take the tinning shears to it's genitalia. 50k of markup and 126k of CSS spanning 9 files to deliver 8k of plaintext and two content images is NOT encouraging, or efficient. It's likely three or even four times as much code as necessary!

You are on the right track though -- make TP stop vomiting up retard markup, reduce the file counts, and fix the font sizes and colour contrasts, and you'll be on to something.

Oh, and stop stuffing your TITLE tag with SEO BS. Use the title tag for what a title tag is FOR.

deathshadow, Mar 4, 2015 IP