1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need server HELP VPS

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by tech4, Oct 7, 2017.

I bought a VPS package, I point my domain name ns1.domain.com, ns2.domain.com...set up glue record. The VPS host say I need to setup centos os which I did centos 7 64 bit. He say I need to set glue to the VPS for the ns1-2 thing. I don't know how.

Anyone know how please help.
    Attached are screen shots....

What am I doing wrong, what am missing, why do I have to use a putty thing?

Attached Files:

tech4, Oct 7, 2017 IP
  2. thewolfie

thewolfie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do you want to use your registrar's DNS or you want to use your own nameservers for your domain?

The easiest way for you, if you don't care about having your own nameservers is using your registrar's dns and just point www and @ records to your server IP. Then nothing else is required in terms of dns.

thewolfie, Oct 9, 2017 IP
  3. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good Day,

You can set up the proper records on your server, you will need to install and configure Bind (DNS server) for this though. As it appears you are not familiar with administering a server, I would suggest you purchase a managed service, or have a third party set up your server. If you wanted to go at it, then one of your attachments it sounds like Centos WebPanel was recommended as a free option, the panel will help with the majority of the tasks required, so I would give it a shot.

Regards,
    Chris

RHS-Chris, Oct 9, 2017 IP
  4. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I did get someone to do it for me. However I am still confuse about "The easiest way for you, if you don't care about having your own nameservers is using your registrar's dns and just point www and @ records to your server IP. Then nothing else is required in terms of dns."

What do you mean?
    I still have to point dns?
    So it will be www.domainname.com as dns1
    and @domainname.com as dns2?

Yes its a non technical question, coming from someone who doesn't know things. I did get someone to do it, but like to know for future references/troubleshooting. Thanks

tech4, Oct 10, 2017 IP
    EvoWRZ® likes this.
  5. thewolfie

thewolfie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What I mean is that you do not have a reason to host a DNS service on your server if you are only going to host 1 domain. The most popular reason for hosting a dns service is to save time creating a bunch of records everytime you add a domain on your server.

If you got it fixed just leave it as is. It's best to use a control panel in the future if you do not have much experience with configuring such services.
    Centos webpanel & VestaCP are some of the good free ones.

thewolfie, Oct 11, 2017 IP
  6. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just curious did you buy managed VPS or unmanaged? most of this basic things for setup are done by web hosting provide incase the client is confused.

webhost.uk.net, Oct 11, 2017 IP
  7. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unmanaged. I had to hire someone to install Centos Web Panel and setting things up. Its working fine.
    Thanks. How do you not have DNS service on server and the pointing will work? I don't get that part, confusing to me.

tech4, Oct 16, 2017 IP
  8. polusweb

polusweb Peon

Best Answers:
    In any control panel is very easy to set up DNS, I honestly didn't understand what your problem is...

polusweb, Oct 18, 2017 IP
    EvoWRZ® likes this.